IE doesn't seen 401 return code

Post by Thad Humphri » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

IE messes up again!!

I've an HTML form whose action calls a CGI.  The CGI's directory is
restricted with <Directory>.  When the form is submitted, the server
(Apache) sends back a 401 status code and some HTML explaining the
problem.  Netscape sees the 401 status code and presents a
username/password dialog, then runs the CGI.  IE 4.01 Windows works, too.

But IE 4.01 and 4.5 Mac does not correctly read the status code.  It
displays the HTML for the error as it the status code had been 200.

If I restrict the HTML form (with <Directory> or <File>), all runs fine.

This error has been recreated in two separate server/workstation environments.

Has anyone else seen this IE error...  or are you also beginning to loose
count of them...

Thad Humphries                  "'Open Systems' means no fences. And
Software Engineer (aka, Nerd)    no fences means no need for Gates."
Phone: 540/675-3015, ext. 225                     - Sun Microsystems

1. Force Apache proxy server return status code 401

I'm writting an authentication handler for Apache
proxy server.  When user tries to access a
protected resource, the handler returns
HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED (401).  The user will be asked
to enter username and password.  This is how the
handler works.

The problem I am having is:  My handler returns
401, but Apache changes the status to 407
(HTTP_PROXY_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED) in the
response header.

I defined another handler to change the status
code from 407 to 401 in the outgoing header in
"fixups" phase.  But that handler never gets
called.

Any idea?

Thanks,
-Muwon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. dlopen() and multiple "instances"

3. Apache : problem redirecting 401 return code to CGI - process explosion!

4. Accessing Internet via NT machine

5. Apache/M$IE: IE doesn't send Authorization headers every time?

6. HP 1300T Magneto Optical drive under Solaris, driver needed

7. HPUX make doesn't return proper exit code

8. Sound drivers for linux

9. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

10. Replacing apache's "401 Authorization required" message

11. 'edquota' failing because vi returns a non-zero code?

12. Book's ping example!!; recvfrom() doesn't return ?

13. Frame buffer in 24 bit mode with SIS650 (ie:vga=789 doesn't work!)