Default-virtual server?

Post by Mike » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:04:16

I am new to apache 2.0.40 running on Linux and although I have it working I
am unsure what should be done with the default server when configuring 2 IP
based hosts.

Example configurations for my 2 sites:

1. One IP as default server, one as virtual

or

2. One IP as virtual, 2nd IP as virtual, with one of the virtuals sharing
the default server address.

Which one is correct?  It seems to work in both configurations but I am not
sure
which way it is best.  I also will be putting Frontpage extensions on these
sites if that means anything.

Should I even be using the default server or just use the virtual hosts?  If
that is the case how do you turn off the default server?

--thx.

Mike

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. song

3. Default Gateway, Default DNS server

4. installation --rpm database

5. Virtual Server - Script to install/remove virtual names

6. use domain name as mail address

7. apache 2.x, php, virtual / non virtual websites and running under restricted server id questions

8. Using Linux as file and printserver?

9. Virtual Servers (includes Virtual Domains)

10. Virtual Server vs. Virtual Host

11. Virtual Servers: WWW, FTP, POP, SMTP, SSL capable (not simply Virtual Hosting)

12. Virtual WEB, Virtual Mail, Secure Server

13. Virtual host on a virtual server