Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Mark » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

First I have read the manual pages and all the readme's but I am still a
bit confused as to what the process for compiling apache is.
I have edited the correct files in src and also edited the config.layout
for specific paths I want. Now I run ./configure then make from the
apache root directory and it uses the standard install and does not
compile in the modules I included in src/Configuration
What am I doing wrong as I amsure it is a step out of place or missing
step.

Thanks

Site

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,
> First I have read the manual pages and all the readme's but I am still a
> bit confused as to what the process for compiling apache is.
> I have edited the correct files in src and also edited the config.layout
> for specific paths I want. Now I run ./configure then make from the
> apache root directory and it uses the standard install and does not
> compile in the modules I included in src/Configuration
> What am I doing wrong as I amsure it is a step out of place or missing
> step.

You are not alone in your confusion.  There are two different config
processes, and you need to be careful not to mix them.  Either
you do all your changes in src/Configuration and then run src/Configure,
or you make all your changes on the command line for ./configure.
Please read the INSTALL doc in the root of the distribution, and
ignore most of what you read in the src directory.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Post by Site » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > First I have read the manual pages and all the readme's but I am still a
> > bit confused as to what the process for compiling apache is.
> > I have edited the correct files in src and also edited the config.layout
> > for specific paths I want. Now I run ./configure then make from the
> > apache root directory and it uses the standard install and does not
> > compile in the modules I included in src/Configuration
> > What am I doing wrong as I amsure it is a step out of place or missing
> > step.

> You are not alone in your confusion.  There are two different config
> processes, and you need to be careful not to mix them.  Either
> you do all your changes in src/Configuration and then run src/Configure,
> or you make all your changes on the command line for ./configure.
> Please read the INSTALL doc in the root of the distribution, and
> ignore most of what you read in the src directory.

> --
> Joshua Slive

> http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Ok, but after you run src/Configure , where does it read config.layout
or more importantly when you runmake, you cannot run make install from
that level. So back to ./configure??
Anymore insight would be great as I read the INSTALL file and it says
nothing about make install from src/

Thanks

Site

Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> You are not alone in your confusion.  There are two different config
>> processes, and you need to be careful not to mix them.  Either
>> you do all your changes in src/Configuration and then run src/Configure,
>> or you make all your changes on the command line for ./configure.
>> Please read the INSTALL doc in the root of the distribution, and
>> ignore most of what you read in the src directory.

> Ok, but after you run src/Configure , where does it read config.layout
> or more importantly when you runmake, you cannot run make install from
> that level. So back to ./configure??
> Anymore insight would be great as I read the INSTALL file and it says
> nothing about make install from src/

That's right.  If you want to use config.layout or make install you
need to use configure in the root of the distribution.  That is
probably your best option.  If you want to use src/Configure, then you
have to ignore the INSTALL file in the root of the distribution, and
read the one in the src directory.  In other words, either stay
entirely in the root directory, or stay entirely in the src directory.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Site » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > > Hello,

> > > <snip>First I have read the manual pages and all the readme's but I am still a
> > > bit confused as to what the process for compiling apache is.
<end snip>
> > You are not alone in your confusion.  There are two different config
> > processes, and you need to be careful not to mix them.  Either
> > you do all your changes in src/Configuration and then run src/Configure,
> > or you make all your changes on the command line for ./configure.
> > Please read the INSTALL doc in the root of the distribution, and
> > ignore most of what you read in the src directory.

> > --
> > Joshua Slive

Hello,

I think I figured it out.
Seems configure reads the src/Configuration.tmpl file instead
of
src/Configuration , so I backed up the tmpl file and did a mv
Configuration to it then ran configuration from the apache root then
make then make install and it seems to have picked up all my inlcuded
modules.
If i did this correct, then the Apache docs are not that helpful unless
you want to use apaci which seems to cumbersome to me.
Well, Apache started and all seems OK. Now let's see if I can do DSO.
Any thoughts on what I did would be appreciated, especially if it is
wrong?

Thanks

Site

Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I think I figured it out.
> Seems configure reads the src/Configuration.tmpl file instead
> of
> src/Configuration , so I backed up the tmpl file and did a mv
> Configuration to it then ran configuration from the apache root then
> make then make install and it seems to have picked up all my inlcuded
> modules.
> If i did this correct, then the Apache docs are not that helpful unless
> you want to use apaci which seems to cumbersome to me.
> Well, Apache started and all seems OK. Now let's see if I can do DSO.
> Any thoughts on what I did would be appreciated, especially if it is
> wrong?

Using src/Configuration.tmpl may work, but it is not the supported or
documented way to do it.  You need to READ the install docs and FOLLOW
them.  That means, if you want to use apaci, then you need to use ONLY
apaci and not mix it with the other configuration method.  Yes,
it is a little bit of a pain making the huge command line for ./configure,
but that is what you need to do.  Otherwise, please don't ask me for
any more help, because mixing the two systems is bound to lead to
a confusing mess.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Site » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Using src/Configuration.tmpl may work, but it is not the supported or
> documented way to do it.  You need to READ the install docs and FOLLOW
> them.  That means, if you want to use apaci, then you need to use ONLY
> apaci and not mix it with the other configuration method.  Yes,
> it is a little bit of a pain making the huge command line for ./configure,
> but that is what you need to do.  Otherwise, please don't ask me for
> any more help, because mixing the two systems is bound to lead to
> a confusing mess.

> --
> Joshua Slive

> http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Hello,

It sure does lead to a confusing mess.
i am going to stick with apaci as I cannot find in any of the docs
how to config apache properly from within src. Such as there is no place
to set the defualt directory paths for the logs, docs and other things.
I suppose it would have to be done via ./httpd -f
/var/www/conf/httpd.conf -d /var/www/docs
But I do not want to do that as I would rather have all the config info
compled into httpd

Well, I appreciate your help and guidnace so it seems I am going to use
apaci and have one hell of a long command line. Is there a way to put
all of the options in a file for configure to read?

Thanks

Site

Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> It sure does lead to a confusing mess.

I don't disagree with you there, although if you read the docs
carefully you can figure it out.

Quote:> i am going to stick with apaci as I cannot find in any of the docs
> how to config apache properly from within src. Such as there is no place
> to set the defualt directory paths for the logs, docs and other things.
> I suppose it would have to be done via ./httpd -f
> /var/www/conf/httpd.conf -d /var/www/docs

Either that or go and modify the header (.h) files as appropriate.

Quote:> But I do not want to do that as I would rather have all the config info
> compled into httpd
> Well, I appreciate your help and guidnace so it seems I am going to use
> apaci and have one hell of a long command line. Is there a way to put
> all of the options in a file for configure to read?

Sure, you make a small shell script that just executes the command
line that you want.  Once you run configure once, a config.status file
is created that is exactly that: a small shell script that you can
modify or run as is to configure apache.  Here is one of the ones from
a recent compile of apache that I did.  You can simply modify this,
make it executable, then run it.

#!/bin/sh
##
##  config.status -- APACI auto-generated configuration restore script
##
##  Use this shell script to re-run the APACI configure script for
##  restoring your configuration. Additional parameters can be supplied.
##

OPTIM="-O2" \
./configure \
"--with-layout=Apache" \
"--prefix=/usr/local/apache" \
"--enable-module=speling" \
"--enable-module=auth_db" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"--enable-module=mime_magic" \

Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Site » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > It sure does lead to a confusing mess.

> I don't disagree with you there, although if you read the docs
> carefully you can figure it out.

> Either that or go and modify the header (.h) files as appropriate.

> Sure, you make a small shell script that just executes the command
> line that you want.  Once you run configure once, a config.status file
> is created that is exactly that: a small shell script that you can
> modify or run as is to configure apache.  Here is one of the ones from
> a recent compile of apache that I did.  You can simply modify this,
> make it executable, then run it.

Hello,

Many thanks as I will use this procedure.
One other question, is there a verbose way for apache to tell
you what modules are loaded at startup? Or at least just the ones using
the DSO feature? I added speling.so (followed the docs exactly) and
apache restarts fine but the docs say ./apachectl restart  should show
what modules are loaded.
Mine does not but it does not give an error so I would guess it is
loaded?

Thanks

Site

Proper Procedure for compiling apache

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> One other question, is there a verbose way for apache to tell
> you what modules are loaded at startup? Or at least just the ones using
> the DSO feature? I added speling.so (followed the docs exactly) and
> apache restarts fine but the docs say ./apachectl restart  should show
> what modules are loaded.
> Mine does not but it does not give an error so I would guess it is
> loaded?

I'm not sure what docs say that, but I don't think it is correct.  For
DSO modules, you need to add the appropriate lines in httpd.conf.
Then if you can start apache with no errors, you can be fairly
confident they are loaded.  (For mod_speling, in order for it to
actually do anything you need to remember the "CheckSpelling On"
directive.)

--

Post by Neil » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Well, I appreciate your help and guidnace so it seems I am going to use
>apaci and have one hell of a long command line. Is there a way to put
>all of the options in a file for configure to read?

yes - I always copy them into a sheel script which calls configure. I save this
script in my home directory for later use...

BTW, the best doc to read is README.configure -- I've always found it much much
more helpful than the others.

1. proper procedure to upgrade kernel

What's the proper procedure to upgrade a kernel with an official patch file?
I'm using the 2.1 series, and every time I download a patch, I put it in
/usr/src, do "linux/scripts/patch-kernel", "cd linux", "make xconfig" and look
for new config options, "make dep", "make clean", "make zlilo", "make modules",
"make modules_install".  That procedure used to work, but for 2.1.64 and 2.1.65
it didn't.  Each time I got errors, so I deleted the entire source tree,
reloaded an early version (2.1.44) from CD, and patched it with all the
subsquent patches which I had saved.  Then it compiled fine.  What am I doing
wrong?  I once read that you should do a "make mrproper" before running one of
the config scripts, but that deleted my old configuration, so I was no better
off than reloading the whole source.  I'm thinking of using xconfig's "save
configuration to file" and "load configuration from file" options, but I still
don't know whether "make mrproper" is the correct thing to do.  Should I do a
"make clean" instead?

"There are four kinds of people in this world:
        cretins, fools, morons, and lunatics."

--Umberto Eco

2. install applications from packages

3. Proper Procedure for Shutdown

4. Quake2 can't find ref*.so files

5. proper procedure

6. Linux 5.0 on Toshiba Libretto

7. RedHat: proper RPM procedures

8. Any Linux-Tools for the SHARC 2106XE EZLITE Kit?

9. Proper upgrading KDE procedures

10. Proper procedure for adding more disks?

11. Proper Procedure to Install KDE?!

12. Apache Doc & Startup procedure for Apache NT

13. Proper order to compile gcc, binutils, libstd+++ and glib2?????