apache prompting for pw with allow from. why?

apache prompting for pw with allow from. why?

Post by Admi » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

while using the following .htaccess file:

AuthUserFile /dev/null
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName ExampleAllowFromNCSA
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from .accepted.domain.name
</Limit>

i get a proper refusal from an outside domain, but i get prompted for a
username and password, which is not what i want.  domain verification is
good enough for this purpose.  how can i force this?  i am running apache
0.8.14 on solaris 2.4, and this is the exact same .htaccess that was used
in the ncsa tutorial, i just changed the domain.  what am i missing here?

any help much appreciated.

--jml

http://www.apache.org/docs/compat_notes.html

Post by Vivek Khe » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

A> AuthType Basic

A> i get a proper refusal from an outside domain, but i get prompted for a
A> username and password, which is not what i want.  domain verification is
A> good enough for this purpose.  how can i force this?  i am running apache

You asked for AuthType Basic, which means to prompt for a user name
and password.  Take out those lines, and just leave the <Limit>
section of your access file.
Vivek Khera, Ph.D.                        Khera Communications, Inc.

PGP/RIPEM/MIME spoken here                http://www.kciLink.com/home/khera/

1. User/PW prompt for PPP?

I am currently setting up a laptop to be used (not surprisingly) as a mobile
system.  I'm solving the "using ethernet at multiple offices" problem by
using DHCP to give the laptop an IP.  However, I'm wondering if someone has
come up with a way so that the user will be prompted for their username/PW
for PPP access? (think of how Windows does it)

I've written a small Perl script to request the info, modify the chat script,
make the connection, and then remove the chat script after the PPP link is
established (so other people can't see the PW in the script).  I figure I'm
not the only one with this problem, and I was wondering if anyone has made
something more elegant to solve it?

Please let me know, thanks.

--
To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address.

2. Berkeley Fast Filesystem

3. Disable ability to do remote telnet but allow pw resets

4. Problems With CMI8330 Sound Card in Mandrake 7

5. lost root pw on my sun box...need help resetting pw

6. IP routing with masquerading

7. Resetting pw after account expires shows pw in clear

8. How to select other fonts sizes in Dtterm ?

9. Hashed PW's more secure than encrypted PW's?

10. Why won't Apache allow HEAD inside <Limit>?

11. Allowing prompt to display current directory.

12. Method Not Allowed - why?

13. Why? Mach64: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 80.000 MHz