Apache 1.3.27 internal server error by unknown mime type

Apache 1.3.27 internal server error by unknown mime type

Post by David Koman » Tue, 13 May 2003 21:04:13

Apache 1.3.27 (also confirmed in 1.3.22, but it is obsolete in these
days)
Tru64Unix 5.1a

pointing browser to the URL which leads to the file with no extension
(suffix) in the name or with the extension not listed in mime.types
file results in the "internal server error" message. Renaming the same
file to the one with known extension works fine. The value of
"DefaultType" has no effect on this.
No relevant entry in error_log, only the line with code 500 in
access_log.

STRANGE: this problem concerns only some binary files, not all -
gzipping the file has no effect, but inserting a few bytes at the
beginning of the file leads to proper handling of ot (but the contents
is then dmaged, of course).

Is this a known bug or configuration issue ?

Example:

not working:
http://lib.natur.cuni.cz/~komanek/webland/html/Blansko
http://lib.natur.cuni.cz/~komanek/webland/html/Blansko.x
working well:
http://lib.natur.cuni.cz/~komanek/webland/html/Blansko.tgz

Thanks for any possible comments,

David Komanek

Post by Joshua Sli » Wed, 14 May 2003 02:44:27

> pointing browser to the URL which leads to the file with no extension
> (suffix) in the name or with the extension not listed in mime.types
> file results in the "internal server error" message. Renaming the same
> file to the one with known extension works fine. The value of
> "DefaultType" has no effect on this.
> No relevant entry in error_log, only the line with code 500 in
> access_log.

> STRANGE: this problem concerns only some binary files, not all -
> gzipping the file has no effect, but inserting a few bytes at the
> beginning of the file leads to proper handling of ot (but the contents
> is then dmaged, of course).

Most likely this is mod_mime_magic going wacky.  Disable that module
and apache should fall back to DefaultType.

Joshua.

Apache 1.3.27 internal server error by unknown mime type

Post by David Komane » Wed, 14 May 2003 16:02:55

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right way. I installed the
Apache 1.3.27 over an existing 1.3.26 and therefore by the intall
process were the configuration files not updated automaticaly. I did a
diff from httdp.conf (1.3.26) and httpd.conf.default (1.3.27) and
adjusted it to my needs. I completely forgot to compare magic files. Now
I did it and see the difference: my test file which crashed the websever
is (interestingly enough, it is not the type in real :-) as a WAV/RIFF
file. The difference in the magic file definitions is that in the new
version there is an extra tab character at the end of the line. This
conforms to the other lines in the file. Adding tabs and restarting
apache did the diference. So I think when apache parses this file it has
problems when the line does not end with tab character.

I read through the instructions how to submit bugs to the Apache, but:
1. I have no test system with no third-party modules and original
configuration
2. I think this should be reconfirmed before submitted
3. I don't know if this problem is bad enough to patch it in the old
good 1.3.x branch of Apache when the 2.0.x is out for long time

Please, is anyone there who could do this or at least discuss this my
opinion ?

Best regards,

   David Komanek

>>pointing browser to the URL which leads to the file with no extension
>>(suffix) in the name or with the extension not listed in mime.types
>>file results in the "internal server error" message. Renaming the same
>>file to the one with known extension works fine. The value of
>>"DefaultType" has no effect on this.
>>No relevant entry in error_log, only the line with code 500 in
>>access_log.

>>STRANGE: this problem concerns only some binary files, not all -
>>gzipping the file has no effect, but inserting a few bytes at the
>>beginning of the file leads to proper handling of ot (but the contents
>>is then dmaged, of course).

> Most likely this is mod_mime_magic going wacky.  Disable that module
> and apache should fall back to DefaultType.

> Joshua.

1. Can I use a type-maps with JSP:s in Apache 1.3.27?

Hello

In a given directory (say ${DOCUMENTROOT}/test/) I want the user to
"get" a JSP-page if the browsers prefered language is Swedish and an
ordinare html-page if the prefered language is English. Does anyone know
if this is possible?

I have the following files:
* index.html.var
* index.sv.jsp
* index.html.en

The var-file looks like this:
----------
URI: index.html.en

URI: index.sv.jsp
----------

Tomcat 4.0.5 is installed and working. It correctly handles other JSP:s.

--
Dennis Lundberg

2. random password generator?

3. apache 1.3.27 make errors

4. AIX Archive Site

5. problems with apache 1.3.27 on redhat linux 7.2 - [error] (32)Broken pipe: accept:

6. Problem with IDE Hard Disk and Two Controllers

7. Apache 1.3.27 Binary files

8. Will this modem work in Linux?

9. using .htaccess files in apache 1.3.27 virtual dirs

10. mod_dir to use hostname instead of ServerName (Apache 1.3.27)

11. Apache 1.3.27 + PHP + ISO-10646-UCS-4

12. Apache 1.3.27 & mod_rewrite problem.

13. apache 1.3.27