strange Apache host queries

Post by Glenn Litt » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

  We're running apache1.2b7 on an alpha (named "newcs") running:

    # uname -a
    OSF1 newcs V3.2 41 alpha

  Since we started running this httpd, we've been seeing error messages
  in the system log from the automounter that look like:

    Mar 31 16:22:15 newcs automount[333]: find_server: gethostbyname failed for
                     .htaccess:/home/.htaccess
    Mar 31 16:22:49 newcs last message repeated 12 times

  I can find no mention of .htaccess as a hostname or filesystem to mount
  in any of our automount maps.  I don't know how this query is being
  constructed.  I don't see much going on in the conf files with htaccess
  either.

  Any ideas?  As our server has gotten more busy, the number of these
  messages appears to be going up (the "12" above is often something
  like 350 or 400).  There's still some chance this is an alpha/NFS
  thing, just being tickled by httpd.  But I'm not the alpha admin,
  so am not as clear about the niggly details there.  Like I said
  though, at least the automount maps don't appear to have anything
  directly to do with this.

  If possible, please cc me on any replies, as our news feed can often
  be flakey.

  Thanks.

                -glenn

Post by Ken A L Coa » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>   We're running apache1.2b7 on an alpha (named "newcs") running:

>     # uname -a
>     OSF1 newcs V3.2 41 alpha

>   Since we started running this httpd, we've been seeing error messages
>   in the system log from the automounter that look like:

>     Mar 31 16:22:15 newcs automount[333]: find_server: gethostbyname failed for
>                      .htaccess:/home/.htaccess
>     Mar 31 16:22:49 newcs last message repeated 12 times

I suspect the key is right there in front of us: somewhere,
one of your configuration files refers to ".htaccess:" instead
of ".htaccess".  How about the AccessFileName directive?  What's
its argument?

#ken    :-)}

1. Apache Query - Pseudo Virtual Hosts ?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone out there can help . . .

How do I set up Apache so that different users can get their own docs,
log and cgi-bin directories without having to provide Web forwarding for
each ?

For example:

The URL's might be:

    www.myserver.com/user1
    www.myserver.com/user2

with each user having dedicated docs, logs & cgi-bin directories.

I've seen it done, but can't find it in the documentation.

Any advice much appreciated.

Joe Newby

2. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 19 February 2003 NYLXS Perl One Class

3. Can't do X -query host if host has CDE installed

4. OpenGL on Linux?

5. Configuring apache for query strings to accept "domain.com/?query" when using index.cgi...

6. network problem after installing patch t64v51b18as0004

7. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

8. getty and ATA - how to set up

9. Strange Name-Based Virtual Host problem with Apache 1.3.23 on Linux

10. Strange Response from Apache after Virtual host Config.

11. Strange network problems - pings to host are fine, pings from host fail

12. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

13. Apache - Virtual Host or /etc/hosts