Apache Install

Post by Jill » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

    Ok, go easy on me.  I am new at this.  At the linux cdrom prompt I type
'rpm -i apache-1.3.3-1.i386.rpm'.  Now what?  Where did it install apache?
Do I have to compile it?  I am trying to learn some Internet programming,
and I thought this would be a good place to start.
    I run RH 5.2 on a Dell, into which I telnet from Windows via ethernet.

Apache Install

Post by Greg Cop » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Have a good look round your file systems, You will find:

document root at: /home/httpd/html

have a good look round /home/httpd/ as it holds you cgi-bin and images dirs

You will find docs in /usr/doc/httpd or apache I forget which on RedHat

The config files live in /etc/httpd/conf/

read the httpd.conf / access.conf and srm.conf as these all have lots of
comments / examples.

also in there you will find module dirs (where all the modules get put!)

if you point you browser on your windoze box to
http://your_redhat_box_IP_number/

you will get an apache "it worked message" on the same page is a link to the
apache online manual in html (you will find in /home/httpd/html/manual)
which has details on ALL your questions.

If you have any others look at the archives of this group at www.deja.com

Greg

:    Ok, go easy on me.  I am new at this.  At the linux cdrom prompt I type
:'rpm -i apache-1.3.3-1.i386.rpm'.  Now what?  Where did it install apache?
:Do I have to compile it?  I am trying to learn some Internet programming,
:and I thought this would be a good place to start.
:    I run RH 5.2 on a Dell, into which I telnet from Windows via ethernet.

1. apache install linux problem

I am trying to install apache 1.3.3 on a linux release 5.1 kernel 2.0.35
gcc version 2.7.2.3

I get the message

Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.3
 + Warning: Configuring Apache with default settings.
 + This is probably not what you really want.
 + Please read the README.configure and INSTALL files
 + first or at least run './configure --help' for
 + a compact summary of available options.
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for Linux platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to NOT-AVAILABLE
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
** will also provide a clue.
 Aborting!

I have tried this on two pc's with the same results. I have seen other news
messages with similar problem........any help is appreciated.

2. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP: I'm exhausted. prob w/X & Diamond Stealth

3. telnetd, ftpd failing: can't login remotely after apache install

4. Starting Visual C++ from UNIX

5. Apache install with mod_perl (and mod_ssl)

6. Looking for Sample Device Drivers

7. apache install ODT/3.0

8. HELP: multiple printers on one port, port closed before output written

9. the most efficient apache install

10. HELP - APACHE Install

11. Apache install on Solaris 8 - make errors

12. Steps for Apache install

13. Apache Install