Can't restrict directory listing

Post by Gerardo Blanc » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am running apache server 1.3.3 with this instruction in my access.conf
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

I was expecting that with this instruction if somebody try
www.domain.com/directory/ and there is no index.htm, the listing of the
directory will be restricted.
This is not happening.
What is strange is, I have another daemon apache 1.3.3 running in the same
server with another access.conf for my virtual servers with the same
instruction, and it is working.
the listing of the directory in my virtual servers is restricted.

Why in one of the daemons is working, and not in the other ?

Thanks

--

Gerardo Blanco

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I am running apache server 1.3.3 with this instruction in my access.conf
> <Directory />
> Options FollowSymLinks
> AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
> I was expecting that with this instruction if somebody try
> www.domain.com/directory/ and there is no index.htm, the listing of the
> directory will be restricted.
> This is not happening.

Two possibilities I can think of:

1. The access.conf you are looking at is not being read by the server.
Try putting garbage in it and restart the server to see if this is true.

2. The restriction is being overriden by another <Directory >
section somewhere else in the config files.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/