403 forbidden error and public_html

Post by myat » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi...

I'm getting the 403 forbidden error when I try to access documents in a user's
public_html directory.  I've checked all the file permissions of  that
directory and its parent directories, and all allow write and execute
permissions to all.  The path to this user's directory is /home/users/faculty.
For other users on the system, home directories are located in /users/students,
and access to their public_html files does not result in the forbidden error.
Is there a directive which controls where users' home directories are located,
or am I doing something else wrong?  Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Misty Garrick

Post by John Imri » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi...

> I'm getting the 403 forbidden error when I try to access documents in a user's
> public_html directory.  I've checked all the file permissions of  that
> directory and its parent directories, and all allow write and execute
> permissions to all.  The path to this user's directory is /home/users/faculty.
> For other users on the system, home directories are located in /users/students,
> and access to their public_html files does not result in the forbidden error.
> Is there a directive which controls where users' home directories are located,
> or am I doing something else wrong?  Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Check the UserDir configuration directive.

The Pilgrim

1. Forbidden 403 access to users public_html directory

Hi,

I have installed apache 1.3.9 on RH6.1
My users directories are /home/users/* with a public_html directory within
the each users directory.
In the access.conf file, I added
    <Directory /home/users/*/public_html>
    Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Directory>

and in srm.conf the line

UserDir public_html

was already set.

Now, when I try to access http://host/~username I get the dreaded (or maybe
not dreaded) 403 forbidden. I have checked the logs with nothing of
relevance to point to this problem.
Also, this server is not public, therefore I am not too concerned about
security, but would stilll like to keep it as secure as possible.
Please help!
Thanks in advance

Alex

2. Summary of my cpio question and new ccmail problem

3. UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

4. is the max dotclock of ET4000 card in IBM/VP 65Mhz????

5. 403 forbidden error with apache when symlinking to different partition

6. problem starting apache ( was fine before )

7. Forbidden 403 Error

8. IRIX 5.3: cannot remove strange directory - link count 3 but empty

9. http error 403 (forbidden)

10. Directory index forbidden by rule w/403 error

11. 403 Forbidden error

12. 403 forbidden error

13. '403 Forbidden' error on ALL server access attempts