Executable not downloded correctly

Post by Pasca » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:10:21

When I download an executable file with ftp (WS_FTP) on my web server
(RedHat 7.0 & Apache) it is work fine. When I download it through IE I got a
non Win 32 executable file. It seems that the file is smaller than the
original one.
Any idea?
Thank's
Pascal

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:41:41

> When I download an executable file with ftp (WS_FTP) on my web server
> (RedHat 7.0 & Apache) it is work fine. When I download it through IE I got a
> non Win 32 executable file. It seems that the file is smaller than the
> original one.
> Any idea?
> Thank's
> Pascal

Without a URL demonstrating the 'problem' it would be difficult for anyone
to tell.  Since you mention WS_FTP we wonder if this question has anything
to do with web servers at all, which is the topic of this newsgroup,

Since there are no HTTP headers from FTP, MSIE might be misguessing the
file type based on filename extension, possibly truncating it at an end of
file marker.  Whereas, anything in Linux would assume binary and WS_FTP is
likely set to binary by default.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

Post by phil-news-nos.. » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:31:52

| When I download an executable file with ftp (WS_FTP) on my web server
| (RedHat 7.0 & Apache) it is work fine. When I download it through IE I got a
| non Win 32 executable file. It seems that the file is smaller than the
| original one.

IE may be assuming the file is text, and text files have to have the
newline configuration converted.  In UNIX (and thus Linux) newlines
are coded as a single character 0x0A whereas in Windows, newlines are
coded as a pair of characters 0x0D 0x0A.  IE should be making the file
larger if you are truly downloading and it is truly confused (which it
often is).  If you are really UPLOADing, then I'd expect what you get.

BTW, MACs are even different; they use 0x0D by itself for newlines.

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |

Executable not downloded correctly

Post by Pasca » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:06:17

I was looking for a text download but it elarge the size of the downloded
file witch is not the case, even more.
I forgot to mention that my customers are using IE 5 with Win2k.
Pascal

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:10:21 +0200 Pascal

> | When I download an executable file with ftp (WS_FTP) on my web server
> | (RedHat 7.0 & Apache) it is work fine. When I download it through IE I
got a
> | non Win 32 executable file. It seems that the file is smaller than the
> | original one.

> IE may be assuming the file is text, and text files have to have the
> newline configuration converted.  In UNIX (and thus Linux) newlines
> are coded as a single character 0x0A whereas in Windows, newlines are
> coded as a pair of characters 0x0D 0x0A.  IE should be making the file
> larger if you are truly downloading and it is truly confused (which it
> often is).  If you are really UPLOADing, then I'd expect what you get.

> BTW, MACs are even different; they use 0x0D by itself for newlines.

> --
> | Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |

Executable not downloded correctly

Post by phil-news-nos.. » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:03:51

The it sure sounds like it is converting 0A to 0D0A on text download,
and doing the opposite, converting 0D0A to 0A on executeable download.

I've downloaded executeables with IE before, from my Apache/Linux
servers, and have no problem.  Without seeing everything you have
done, it's hard to guess what the problem is.

Are you doing this via a CGI script?  What is the extension of the file?

| I was looking for a text download but it elarge the size of the downloded
| file witch is not the case, even more.
| I forgot to mention that my customers are using IE 5 with Win2k.
| Pascal

|> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:10:21 +0200 Pascal
|>
|> | When I download an executable file with ftp (WS_FTP) on my web server
|> | (RedHat 7.0 & Apache) it is work fine. When I download it through IE I
| got a
|> | non Win 32 executable file. It seems that the file is smaller than the
|> | original one.
|>
|> IE may be assuming the file is text, and text files have to have the
|> newline configuration converted.  In UNIX (and thus Linux) newlines
|> are coded as a single character 0x0A whereas in Windows, newlines are
|> coded as a pair of characters 0x0D 0x0A.  IE should be making the file
|> larger if you are truly downloading and it is truly confused (which it
|> often is).  If you are really UPLOADing, then I'd expect what you get.
|>
|> BTW, MACs are even different; they use 0x0D by itself for newlines.
|>
|> --
|> -----------------------------------------------------------------
|> | Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |

|> -----------------------------------------------------------------

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |

1. Executable is not executable

Hello guys,

I am having a problem with a executable I made, that the system refuses to, ehm,
execute. And it's not the simple 'execute bit not set'.

I build all my libraries in two versions, static (.a) and dynamic (.so).
The version of my executable that links the .so version works without a glitch.
When I build the statically linked version, the result is as follows:

pluto_hagen% ls -al ./TestProg
-rwxr-xr-x    1 hagen    users    11102630 Apr 29 09:12 ./TestProg

pluto_hagen% file ./TestProg
./TestProg: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

So far, so good. Looks like TestProg should work.

pluto_hagen% ./TestProg
./TestProg: Command not found.

Oops. Further examination of the executable yields:

pluto_hagen% ldd ./TestProg
/usr/bin/ldd: ./TestProg: No such file or directory

pluto_hagen% strace ./TestProg
execve("./TestProg", ["./TestProg"], [/* 60 vars */]) = 0
strace: exec: No such file or directory

pluto_hagen% gdb ./TestProg
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.2-2)
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "alpha-redhat-linux"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /tmp/TestProg
~hagen/.cshrc: running!
/tmp/TestProg: Command not found.

Program exited with code 01.
You can't do that without a process to debug.
(gdb) quit

pluto_hagen% nm ./TestProg
000000012027b140 r a1
000000012027b148 r a2
0000000120272990 r aa
0000000120301e20 d aatEchoPara
00000001201be590 T abort
0000000000000000 a *ABS*
0000000000000000 a *ABS*
lots and lots more symbols, no problem.

So, I am stumped. nm seems to be the only tool that likes my executable. Can
anybody give me a hint how to examine this further? Or even had this problem
before, and solved it?

Any help very much appreciated.

Ulrich

2. 3Com 3C905-TX

3. gcc not defining _start, ld not linking correctly

4. Satan

5. xlock not working correctly "Can not get hostbyname"

6. delete folders

7. /usr/sbin/pppd does not exist or is not executable

8. Is there a list of device drivers required for linux??

9. gdb: core file not in executable format: File format not recognized

10. /bsd is executable or not (to chmod or not)?

11. Knode: cannot get further than downloding list of news groups.

12. Concatentating Solaris-10 DVD downloded from sun.com.