Configure Apache to allow directories to be downloaded -- not just files

Configure Apache to allow directories to be downloaded -- not just files

Post by Chuck Benso » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 06:07:17

I am running Apache 1.3.6 on a Solaris 7 Sparc 10.  As our users browse
through deeply nested directories of their files, I need to allow them to
download complete directories at a time.  That is, I don't want them to have
to navigate all of the way to the end of their tree and then download files
singly.  Is there a way to configure Apache so that a browsed directory can
be downloaded?

Thanks,
Chuck

Post by nob.. » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 02:51:29

> I am running Apache 1.3.6 on a Solaris 7 Sparc 10.  As our users browse
> through deeply nested directories of their files, I need to allow them to
> download complete directories at a time.  That is, I don't want them to have
> to navigate all of the way to the end of their tree and then download files
> singly.  Is there a way to configure Apache so that a browsed directory can
> be downloaded?

You could use the ReadmeName directive to add an HTML footer to each
page.  This footer could include a hyperlink to a CGI script that
looks at the Referrer: header and does a tar/zip of everything in the
directory tree.

Unfortunately I believe you need to put a symlink to the footer file
in every directory..

Note: This stuff changed immediately after 1.3.6 and you could maybe
circumvent the requirement to put the footer file in every directory
with some fancy mod_rewrite footwork.

--
     \\   ( )

 .  l___\\