How to Optimize Apache for a Slow Server Connection?

How to Optimize Apache for a Slow Server Connection?

Post by Bill Dolso » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'm running Apache 1.1.1 on RedHat 4.0 behind a 33.6 modem and want to
do what I can to optimize performance.  It's a special interest site
with <300 unique hosts and <10,000 page hits/day.

1) Redhat configured Apache with HostNameLookups on.  Will it help
things if I turn this off?  If I need a hostname report my log file
analysis program can do the lookups.

2) Somehow I have referer and agent logs on.  Will performance improve
if I eliminate them?  To eliminate them should I recompile, eliminate
the directive in the .conf file, or send them to /dev/null?

3) Anything else I can do?

4) I know this is a Linux question but how can I determine my modem
connect speed.  There's nothing in /etc/messages about connect speed.

Thanks in advance
Bill Dolson