Need help with redirect problem

Post by Steve McLaughl » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Gurus,

 I've setup a server that now supports virtual servers.  However, for one
 of the virtual servers, I'd like the "root page" to redirect to a remote server
 and the directories from root page to point to the local server.  Is this
 possible?  I've tried numerous virtual1_srm.conf configurations but nothing
 seems to work.  I don't have any problems with redirecting a page under root
 to a different machine but can't get the root page to work.  Links won't
 even work.

 Can someone shed some light on this?  Many thanks in advance.

Steve McLaughlin

1. Need help redirecting cgi request

Greetings all,

In order to speed up a cgi script, I've built and configured a
mod_perl enabled Apache web server on port 8080. The idea is that
normal HTML and CGI scripts would be served by the usual port 80
server, and particular mod_perl enabled scripts would be served by the
8080 server.

What's the best way to transparently forward requests (for a
particular CGI script) from the port 80 web server to the port 8080
one? For example, I want people to continue to hit this:
  http://www.blah.com/cgi-bin/scriptname
but redirect it to:
  http://www.blah.com:8080/cgi-bin/scriptname.mod_perl
transparently to the user. From the Apache docs, it looks like there
are at least four possibilities:

1) ProxyPass all :80/cgi-bin traffic to :8080/cgi-bin. This requires
mod_proxy on the 80 server (which I don't think I have right now).
Worse, it would use the 8080 server for non-mod_perl CGI, which would
waste memory.
2) Use mod_alias' Rewrite to rewrite the URLs. This would be nice
since mod_alias is already installed. Unfortunately, the CGI arguments
are lost when using this method.
3) Use mod_rewrite's RewriteRule to rewrite the URLs. Does this handle
CGI arguments correctly? This requires mod_rewrite on the 80 server
(which I don't have right now) and maybe some additional work because
I'm using virtual domains.
4) Do a redirect from the old script to the new one. This doesn't
require additional modules in the 80 server, but isn't very efficient.

Am I missing anything? Which do you recommend? Can ProxyPass be used
on a script instead of a whole directory? Is there some way to get
mod_alias to work?

Thanks,
David

2. DISK_ERR4 Temp is it a problem?

3. Need help with Apache Redirect

4. OS/2 boot manager: Need information about internal structure

5. Newbie need help redirecting screen output

6. Need help setting up scanner in Linux (SuSE 6.4)

7. Redirect Help Needed

8. Lilo blues

9. CGI Redirect Help Needed

10. Need help redirecting requests with NCSA httpd 1.3

11. help needed with redirecting

12. HELP I need redirect from my NT server to Apache on Linux using HOST HEADER!!???

13. need GDB help redirect command output to variable