Server getting slower and slower. Why?

Server getting slower and slower. Why?

Post by Silvan Mühlema » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:01:15



I have a web site (Apache, PHP, MySql) with a considerable amount of
traffic (1 Million Hits daily / 50'000 Pageimpressions daily) running
on a Red Hat Linux/PIII-1GHz/1.5GB RAM-Server.

When we set up the server, 100 concurrent Sessions created a load of
about 5 and the server was quite fast. Right now the same number of
sessions results in a load of 30. What's the reason? The table have
grown by maybe 20%, but indexes are set correctly. The disk is quite
full (about 90% full). Could the disc activity be the reason?

Thanks for your answers!

Silvan
tilllate.com

 
 
 

Server getting slower and slower. Why?

Post by Ralph Schindl » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:42:15



> I have a web site (Apache, PHP, MySql) with a considerable amount of
> traffic (1 Million Hits daily / 50'000 Pageimpressions daily) running
> on a Red Hat Linux/PIII-1GHz/1.5GB RAM-Server.

> When we set up the server, 100 concurrent Sessions created a load of
> about 5 and the server was quite fast. Right now the same number of
> sessions results in a load of 30. What's the reason? The table have
> grown by maybe 20%, but indexes are set correctly. The disk is quite
> full (about 90% full). Could the disc activity be the reason?

> Thanks for your answers!

> Silvan
> tilllate.com

Ill take a stab at this one / but Ill forwarn you that this is theory
b/c I have no sites that have that kind of traffic.

When you say Sessions.. do you mean that you are implementing some
type of user tracking / session management?  If so .. is it memory
based or disk based?  If the latter is the case, I'd have to say that
disk reads are much more expensive than memory reads... switch to
something that is memory based.

Maybe you are implementing sessions managed by a session table in
mysql... if so, are you cleaning it out periodically?

Above and beyond that, I'd have to say if cost were not of an issue,
take neopets as a case study and use oracle/apache/php combo.  It
works for them b/c the average user on the site says ~ 20mins per
visit.  That or use better session management ideas.

 
 
 

1. PPP gets slower and slower

I am using KPPP with Mandrake 9.0, dial-up with an internal Conexant-based
modem with the correct RPM from the Conexant project site.

As a session progresses, the time to connect gets slower and slower.  I can
usually get to "starting pppd", but the next stage times out with Exit
Status 10, even with the time allowed set to maximum.

Any ideas? TIA.

Doug.

2. Any Fast Ethernet Card SUpupported

3. logout gets slower and slower!

4. Strange boot up error messages ?!?!?!

5. telnet logins running slower and slower...

6. "Forbidden" error accessing cgi files in browser

7. Workshop 4.2 -> 5.0 -> 6.0 slower and slower...

8. dumping into sendmail

9. cable connect.slower&slower->dead

10. Solaris 2.5: IPC gets faster, Sparc 20 gets slower?

11. Linux PPP server is slower than WindowsNT 4.0 RAS server

12. DSL on Linux 2.2.20: internet getting slower

13. Ultra 2 is getting slower