preventing access to certain files

Post by Daniel Sund » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

My problem is as follows:

I have an index.html file in all of my directories, which is being
used by one of my webservers. I use Virtual Servers together
with Apache (not latest version), and
I need to access the same directories with another server
too. That is easily accomplished, by setting the default file
to something other than index.html.

Problem is, users can type index.html as the URL. This
will show them the index.html from the other site.

I want to be able to prevent users from viewing, say
index.html. Is that possible?

Thanks In Advance,
Daniel.

preventing access to certain files

Post by Marc Slemk » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

You could use mod_rewrite to redirect them to either the "proper"
index or an error document.  mod_rewrite is included in 1.2b,
available for 1.1.

You should be able to use a:
        <Files index.html>
        deny from all
        </Files>

directive in Apache 1.2b.

Quote:>Hi,
>My problem is as follows:
>I have an index.html file in all of my directories, which is being
>used by one of my webservers. I use Virtual Servers together
>with Apache (not latest version), and
>I need to access the same directories with another server
>too. That is easily accomplished, by setting the default file
>to something other than index.html.
>Problem is, users can type index.html as the URL. This
>will show them the index.html from the other site.
>I want to be able to prevent users from viewing, say
>index.html. Is that possible?
>Thanks In Advance,
>Daniel.

1. Giving certain users access to certain files

I was wondering if there is anyway to give a particular user certain read
and write accesses to a file without giving access to everyone else on
the system?  I'd like to let a certain user be able to read and write
files on to my account, without having the slight problem of letting the
rest of my school have the same access.  I guess I'm looking for
something like chmod.

2. Custom PCMCIA install for RedHat 5.2

3. Prevent to access from SFTP on a certain directory

4. How can I recover RM COBOL data files on Xenix 2.3.4?

5. Preventing certain files on mount points?.

6. Linksys PCMCIA tires out

7. Prevent File Access with Files or FilesMatch Directive

8. AMD-K6 200 vs. Intel-200MMX

9. SSH how to restrict remote access to certain domains or certain users ?

10. netscape templates and restricting access to certain files???

11. Restrict access to certain files for Administrator

12. restricting certain types of file/directory access

13. Preventing multiple invocations of script from accessing the same file