SSL Apache servers

Post by Tauren Mill » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'm currently using a Netscape Enterprise server on a Sparc Solaris 2.5.1
system for hosting secure web sites.  I'm planning on adding more systems,
but would like to go with Intel-based boxes with a free Unix implementation.
Right now I'm considering using Red Hat Linux.

I'm looking at my options for adding SSL to these systems.  I am aware of
the following products:
Stronghold ($999)
Red Hat Secure Web Server ($99)
Apache-SSL (SSLeay) ($Free)

What are the advantages of Stronghold over Red Hat?  Is it really worth 10
times the price?  I'm planning on hosting heavily trafficed sites.  Is one
option better than the other?

My servers are located in the USA and are used for profit.  I'm not sure I
can use Apache-SSL in this case.  If I can use it, are there any drawbacks
to it that Stronghold or Red Hat do not have?

Thanks for the help,
Tauren

SSL Apache servers

Post by Ron Klatchk » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking at my options for adding SSL to these systems.  I am aware of
> the following products:
> Stronghold ($999)
> Red Hat Secure Web Server ($99)
> Apache-SSL (SSLeay) ($Free)

One other product is Raven by Covalent for $357
http://raven.covalent.net/

moo
              Ron Klatchko - Senior Software Engineer

1. SSL Apache Server startup requires password on startup

We are moving from Netscape to Apache Stronghold with SSL.
When we do start-server, it always asks for the SSL password.

 ./start-server
xx.yy.com:443: Mon Aug 30 02:09:02 1999 - Tue Sep 12 02:09:02 2000
xyz.yy.com:443: Tue Sep 28 19:00:00 1999 - Thu Sep 28 18:59:59 2000
Enter pass phrase: PASSWORD HERE

We need to automate that.  With Netscape, we used to do:
   echo PASS | startthenetscapeserver
in the start up scripts so in case the box dies the servers will come
back up.

That echo trick doesn't work.  What can I do to automate the entering
in of the pass phrase.  If the machine dies at 2am, I don't want to
start up a dozen servers by hand, that is lame.

--
CB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ATI Rage Pro -- dog slow, please help!

3. Question: Running Apache SSL and Apache non-SSL on one server

4. Q: how to secure a partition with LINUX

5. Help with Apache SSL && Apache servers sharing content

6. Difference beetwen Aix V3 and Aix V4

7. Mutiple SSL sessions when proxying from SSL server to origin server

8. Q:Iomega Talon 1.4g tape supported by 3.2v4.2?

9. SSL Proxy from Apache server to another HTTP server..

10. Apache-SSL won't compile: Can't find ssl.h!

11. Apache-ssl or mod-ssl?

12. Replacing SSL Certficates in Apache mod-ssl

13. Apache-SSL or mod-SSL?