Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Post by Christohper J. Wargas » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 04:14:44



Folks--

   I am upgrading Apache from 1.3.12 to 1.3.20 and am having some
problems with the cascading style sheets.

   The HTMLers have this to grab the stylesheet:
<head>
....
<link rel="stylesheet" href="../home-new.css" type="text/css">
....
</head>

I have compiled Apache to use the include module but the style sheets
still are not being served. The error_log reports nothing. It seems
like the server just completely ignores the request for the
home-new.css file.

   I am a UNIX admin and have not dealt with stylesheets before. Any
ideas?

cjw

 
 
 

Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Post by adam » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 04:23:16



>    I am upgrading Apache from 1.3.12 to 1.3.20 and am having some
> problems with the cascading style sheets.

>    The HTMLers have this to grab the stylesheet:
> <head>
> ....
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="../home-new.css" type="text/css">
> ....
> </head>

> I have compiled Apache to use the include module but the style sheets
> still are not being served. The error_log reports nothing. It seems
> like the server just completely ignores the request for the
> home-new.css file.

mod_include doesn't have anything to do with stylesheets.  

Quote:>    I am a UNIX admin and have not dealt with stylesheets before. Any
> ideas?

Look in your access_log and error_log.  The web browser should be making
a seperate request for the .css file.  Is the HTTP code 200 (successful)
or 404 (not found) or something else?  If not 200, look into the
error_log to see if there are any more hints.

--
-adam                 | "Be liberal in what you accept, and
Systems Administrator |  conservative in what you send"
Indiana University    |      -Jon Postel
Bloomington, Indiana  |

 
 
 

Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Post by S P Arif Sahari Wibow » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 08:30:37



Quote:><link rel="stylesheet" href="../home-new.css" type="text/css">

                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you sure this file is accessible from the web?

I think apache didn't treat stylesheet specially, just the same as other
files server to the web.

--
                                   S P Arif Sahari Wibowo
  _____  _____  _____  _____

_____/ /      /    / _____/       http://www.arifsaha.com/

 
 
 

Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Post by Christohper J. Wargas » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 05:57:11




> >    The HTMLers have this to grab the stylesheet:
> > <head>
> > ....
> > <link rel="stylesheet" href="../home-new.css" type="text/css">
> > ....
> > </head>
> Look in your access_log and error_log.  The web browser should be making
> a seperate request for the .css file.  Is the HTTP code 200 (successful)
> or 404 (not found) or something else?  If not 200, look into the
> error_log to see if there are any more hints.

   The ../home-new.css file does have the appropriate UNIX
permissions, they are seen from the Internet just fine with the Apache
1.3.12. It does not appear to be an access.conf issue, because I put
in the default access.conf file (no restrictions) and had the same
problem.

   From the access_log:
210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET
/images/as-collage.gif HTTP/ 1.0" 304 -
210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET /home-new.css
HTTP/1.0" 304 -
210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET
/images/gradient-bg.gif HTTP/1.0" 304 -

   And nothing from the error log, just its normal start and stop
messages.
The home-new.css file is in the document root directory. The HTML file
referencing the .css file is in a subdirectory of the document root.
So this seems OK to me.

 
 
 

Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Post by adam » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 03:41:05



>    The ../home-new.css file does have the appropriate UNIX
> permissions, they are seen from the Internet just fine with the Apache
> 1.3.12. It does not appear to be an access.conf issue, because I put
> in the default access.conf file (no restrictions) and had the same
> problem.

>    From the access_log:
> 210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET
> /images/as-collage.gif HTTP/ 1.0" 304 -
> 210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET /home-new.css
> HTTP/1.0" 304 -

304 is a not modified status code.  So apache has already sent the file
to the client, the client should have it cached and apache has let the
client know the file hasn't been changed since the version it last
recieved.  So what is the problem you're having?   I'm starting to
wonder if you don't have a problem with the CSS code that the browser is
refusing to render, not that apache isn't serving the file.

--
-adam                 | "Be liberal in what you accept, and
Systems Administrator |  conservative in what you send"
Indiana University    |      -Jon Postel
Bloomington, Indiana  |

 
 
 

Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Post by Christohper J. Wargas » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 23:31:26




> >    From the access_log:
> > 210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET
> > /images/as-collage.gif HTTP/ 1.0" 304 -
> > 210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET /home-new.css
> > HTTP/1.0" 304 -

> 304 is a not modified status code.  So apache has already sent the file
> to the client, the client should have it cached and apache has let the
> client know the file hasn't been changed since the version it last
> recieved.  So what is the problem you're having?   I'm starting to
> wonder if you don't have a problem with the CSS code that the browser is
> refusing to render, not that apache isn't serving the file.

With Apache 1.3.12 running, the client sees the stylesheet just fine.
If I stop 1.3.12, start the 1.3.20 instance, clear the client's cache,
and perform a forced reload of the page, the stylesheet is not shown
on the browser.

Alors,
cjw

 
 
 

Apache 1.3.20 not including css

Post by Dan Wilg » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 00:12:52







> > >    From the access_log:
> > > 210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET
> > > /images/as-collage.gif HTTP/ 1.0" 304 -
> > > 210.112.204.130 - - [02/Sep/2001:15:51:25 -0500] "GET /home-new.css
> > > HTTP/1.0" 304 -

> > 304 is a not modified status code.  So apache has already sent the file
> > to the client, the client should have it cached and apache has let the
> > client know the file hasn't been changed since the version it last
> > recieved.  So what is the problem you're having?   I'm starting to
> > wonder if you don't have a problem with the CSS code that the browser is
> > refusing to render, not that apache isn't serving the file.

> With Apache 1.3.12 running, the client sees the stylesheet just fine.
> If I stop 1.3.12, start the 1.3.20 instance, clear the client's cache,
> and perform a forced reload of the page, the stylesheet is not shown
> on the browser.

Methinks that is the problem. Netscape doesn't clear CSS or included
Javascript code (or images downloaded via JS) from the cache when you tell it
to. You have to quit the program, trash everything in the cache manually, and
re-run it. I have no idea how IE behaves in this regard.

It sounds like your 1.3.12 simply isn't responding to the if-modified-since
part of the request, so it always sends the file.

--

** Remove the -MUNGE in my address to reply **

 
 
 

1. Apache 1.3.20/mod_proxy not passing host headers

Hi folks,

We've got an apache installation here configured with mod_proxy to act as a
public reverse proxy server for some of our internal resources.  One of
these resources (an installation of Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server)
depends on the requested host header staying intact.

For testing, we've set Apache up so that incoming requests for
sharepoint.foo.com are directed to the ip address of the SharePoint box.
The SharePoint box interprets that as a request for that ip address rather
than for that host header, resulting in all of the relative links on that
page pointing to that box's internal ip address, rather than to
sharepoint.foo.com.

Would anyone know of an easy way to preserve the host header in a case like
this?

2. printing with samba...

3. ResourceConfig, ScriptAlias, Alias Not Working After Upgrade to Apache 1.3.20 w/ mod_perl 1.26

4. 1 internet connection, 2 computers to connect?

5. <Files > directive in Apache 1.3.20 not working?

6. Taper / GCC Error

7. Host not found - Apache 1.3.20

8. hylafax and mserver

9. apache 1.3.20 will not do ssl vhosting how do I make it??

10. Problems with Solaris 8 (SPARC), apache 1.3.20, auth_ldap when starting apache

11. Apache 1.3.20 on Redhat Linux 7?

12. starting problems with Upgraded Kernel for SUSE 7.0 and apache 1.3.20

13. redhat 6.2 Apache 1.3.20 configure fails