CERN HTTPD Server Problem

Post by Kiran Gaut » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

        I know this question is very fundamental but I shall ask anyway. I am trying to
configure the HTTPD server from Cern for caching purposes only. The config file that I am using is the caching.conf file that comes as a part of the server distribution.
I ran the server with the  " /home/of/httpd -r /wherever/configis/caching.conf " command.
I did however make the necessary changes in the config file. The problem is that when a user
access a Web site and the site is *not*  in the proxy server's cache then the access
speed becomes *painfully slow* much slower than when the site is accessed with the proxy server disabled. However, if the site is in the proxy server's cache then there is no problem.

        I have tried this on both AIX 4.0 and BSDI 2.0.  with the same results.
Any help will be appreciated. If you need the config file I could send it to you.

Thanks in advance.

-Kiran

CERN HTTPD Server Problem

Post by ton » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Kiran> file. The problem is that when a user access a Web
Kiran> site and the site is *not* in the proxy server's
Kiran> cache then the access speed becomes *painfully slow*
Kiran> much slower than when the site is accessed with the
Kiran> proxy server disabled. However, if the site is in the
Kiran> proxy server's cache then there is no problem.

Perhaps you have a local problem with your nameservice.
Slow nameserver?

tony

1. CERN ftp server can't open PASV for CERN httpd 3.0

    Hello

    Could you help me ?
  I am running CERN proxy httpd 3.0 libwww 2.17 on IRIX 4.0.5.
  When I attempt to retrive files from cern ftp ftp://ftp.w3.org/pub/src/
  using Mosaic   I get the message "530 Can't open passive connection".
  But from other ftp servers, for example ftp://ftp.telebit.com I don't
  get such a message and everything is OK. May be I have configured my
  httpd.conf not correctly ? Or something else ?

   Regards

|                                                                 |
| St. Petersburg's                   http://www.pnpi.spb.ru/      |
| Nuclear Phisics Institute                                       |
| Russia                                                          |

2. HELP!! Serial-port terminal on Linux

3. Newbie - (dumb CERN httpd question, Linux as server, which server ?)

4. Help requested with server recompile

5. Problem with Cern httpd 3.0 caching server on Linux 1.2.8

6. OpenBSD & xmms

7. Large disk problem

8. cern-httpd 3.0-6 proxy server post problem

9. Problem: Cern httpd server, Access Control on files

10. CERN httpd: Suppressing CERN Reference on authorization failures

11. cern-httpd - proxy-cache - httpd.conf WANTED ???!!!

12. translator from CERN httpd configuration rules to Apache httpd conf?