Problems running Apache on DEC Alpha (OSF1)

Problems running Apache on DEC Alpha (OSF1)

Post by Ondrej Priby » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

Apache 1.2b10 compiles very well (cc and cxx) and I believe I have even
applied all the recommended patches to avoid the problem with pointers
(64 bit) being stored in integers (32 bit).  Sometimes Apache runs fine,
but whenever it is left idle for some time, all subsequent browser
requests are not serviced and httpd's children hang (WAIT) hogging CPU
time doing nothing.  Any further requests from a browser end up in a
child httpd running for a short time and eventually*.
Furthermore, when the server is killed and restarted, things only get
worse (browser complains Error: Document Contains No Data) and every
request for a file causes something like the following message in
httpd's error_log file:

[Fri May  2 10:44:54 1997] httpd: caught SIGBUS, attempting to dump core
in /usr/local/etc/httpd

No core is ever dumped by the way.  The same kind of thing happened
before fixing the pointer bugs and with Apache 1.2b8 as well.  This
problem is not browser-specific and happens even with a simple telnet to
the right port.  Seems like a memory problem or the way children are
controlled by the parent process.  Funnily enough, waiting a couple of
hours before restarting the server seems to work.  Any suggestions?
Have I missed something obvious?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ondrej Pribyl                           +44 (0)171 419 3430

University College London               http://www.veryComputer.com/~op
Gower Street
LONDON
WC1E 6BT

1. Problems running Dec Fortran binaries on Dec Alpha 433a

I just installed RedHat 5.0 (2.0.30 Miata kernel) on my Digital Personal
Workstation 433a.  When I try to run binaries compiled under Digital Unix
with Digital FORTRAN I get the error:

forrtl: info: Fortran error message number is 64.
forrtl: warning: Could not open message catalog: for_msg.cat.
forrtl: info: Check environment variable NLSPATH and protection of
/usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US.ISO8859-1/for_msg.cat.
forrtl: severe (64): Message not found

No problem, I ran into this when I loaded Linux on other alpha machines -
the NLSPATH environment variable now points to a valid fortran message
catalog. Now the program crashes at the same point, but gives the
message:

forrtl: severe (64): input conversion error, unit -5, file Internal
Formatted Read

Indicating that an invalid character was detected during a formatted read.
I've tried copying the for_msg.cat file from other machines to solve the
problem - no luck. FYI this binary runs fine on my PC164 machines. I'm not
sure if the problem is with reading the message catalog, or with the
binary itself.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Riehle
University of Minnesota

2. Which laptop

3. Q:Getting data from TBL_PROCINFO on DEC Alpha/OSF1

4. cannot find okidata printer drivers?

5. Permissions over NFS on DEC OSF1 (ALpha)

6. buffer/memory strangeness in 2.4.16 / 2.4.17pre2

7. Business Decision: HP/UX vs. DEC/Alpha/OSF1

8. 3Com Fast EtherLink 10/100 and 2.0.0

9. Makeconf (customized makerules) on DEC Alpha/OSF1

10. can two copies of apache run on one DEC alpha unix server?

11. apache 1.2.1 won't compile on DEC OSF1 3.2d

12. AMD running on OSF/1 (dec/alpha) version 3.2 run on OSF/1 4.0?

13. Crack for Alphas running OSF1