Apache:SSI w/ Servlets & CGI ?

Post by Larry Chi » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix, comp.lang.java.programmer:

 I have some questions about setting up Apache 1.3.3 and Live Software's
JRun 2.2 . I would like to configure Apache and JRun such that -

1. Servlets can be used as server-side includes (SSI) .
  and...
2. Both servlets and CGI can be used as SSI in the same HTML file.
  and/or ...
3. I can use the "*.shmtl" suffix for CGI SSI files and servlet SSI files.

 The documentation at http://jrun.com/products/jrun/jrunmanual/index.htm
doesn't seem to have much detail about how the httpd server and servlet
engine are supposed to be configured to recognize and use servlets as SSI.
I have the free download standard version of JRun (2.2, not 2.2.1), so
I can't ask Live Software Inc. any technical questions.

 From what I read in the "Server-Side Includes" chapter of the book
"Java Servlets" by Karl Moss, it is assumed that after the proper
configuration , all "*.shtml" files will only be processed by the Server
Side Include servlet. I would like to continue to use the "*.shtml"
suffix to denote any html file with SSI, whether I use servlets or
CGI scripts or both in the same *.shtml file. Is that possible?

 Any help or hints appreciated!

 ...Larry Ching / Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space Co.