Multiple hosts, multiple serve

Post by Eugene Ch » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> [...]
>: >The thing is, I want to split 2 of the hosts out into another server
>: >pool or 2.
>: >Anyone managed to run more than one pool?

>: This cannot be done with the UNIX operating system.

>: Either you have one server listening for all the virtual hosts, or
>: you have a separate server for each address. You cannot mix the two.

I've probably totally misunderstood this question, but why can't you
put 1/2 of your virtual domains on one machine, and the other 1/2 of
your virtual domains on the other?  You may have to do some filesystem
exporting to allow access by both servers to system binaries/cgi
scripts, but an IP address is an IP address.  As long as its on one
ethernet card, I don't see the (technical) problem.

---

Systems Analyst             disclaimer: I would not work for a company that
EMI Communications, Inc.                would have me for a spokesperson ;O)

1. multiple hosts and multiple ports in apache 1.1.1

Under both Solaris 2.4 and Linux (tried 2.0.12, 2.0.13, 2.0.14 and now on
2.0.17) Apache 1.1.1, when configured with several virtual hosts (IP based)
it seems to fail to associate the incoming connection with the right config
data sometimes.  It reports the objects missing and logs in the wrong file
(I have each virtual host going to its own log file) so it looks a lot like
the destination IP address and/or the port number is being picked up wrong.

In the Solaris case, I have the main server address and 4 additional addresses
each listening on ports 80 and 280.  The additional addresses are all setup
to redirect to another server elsewhere (specific subdirectories for each).
The main server works OK on port 80 and not at all on port 280.  But the
redirected ones work fine on both 80 and 280.  I juggled the configuration
for a test and made different host/port combinations do different things
and it's always port 280 on the main IP address not recognized.

In the Linux case, I have the main server using ports 80, 280, and 1080,
as well as 2 additional hosts only doing port 80.  This one is more weird
because sometimes port 80 on the main address works and sometimes not.
The other addresses work.

Mail me if you want to see the config file(s).  I have everything put in
a single httpd.conf file instead of three files, for easier managing.  I
hope that isn't the cause of the problem.

--
Phil Howard KA9WGN             +---------------------------------------------+
Unix/Internet/System Admin     |  When freedom is outlawed....               |

2. Minor PPP problem

3. scp of multiple files to multiple locations on remote host

4. authdes_validate & authdes_refresh error in syslog

5. Multiple Hosts on Multiple NICS...Virtual Machines?

6. INFO-UNIX Digest V14#158

7. Multiple hosts, multiple servers

8. 16 Port Com card for a linux terminal server

9. Solution: multiple Apache log files, multiple args to env=, multiple conditions to CustomLog directive

10. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

11. Dhcp 3 (isc.org): serving multiple subnets on different interfaces

12. Serving multiple domains on *one* MacHTTP/WebStar server

13. XFS - Serving Multiple OS fonts on linux xfs