new user question

Post by Henry LeRoy Miller, Jr » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I can only speak about my experience with apache 1.3.6, but perhaps
it holds true here.

>     i am just now getting into apache and unix.
> i've got a linux 5.1 box with apache 1.3, and i've been working on
> getting it configured to be a web server. my problem right now is that
> when i pull up a browser and type in my ip number, i get a message
> saying "Connection Refused"

First thing that comes to my mind is that apache is configured for port
8080.  To test, try entering your IP number followed by colon and 8080
as below:

http://aaa.bb.ccc.dd:8080

You can look in the file httpd.conf for the Port declaration.  By
default,
when apache is compiled and installed by root, the Port is set to 80,
when installed by a "normal" user, the default Port is 8080.

Henry Miller

new user question

Post by Alex Brow » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>     i am just now getting into apache and unix.
> i've got a linux 5.1 box with apache 1.3, and i've been working on
> getting it configured to be a web server. my problem right now is that
> when i pull up a browser and type in my ip number, i get a message
> saying "Connection Refused"

1. What does the error log say?
2. What port is it serving from, are you allowed to connect to this?
3. see 1.
4. Which user is the server running as?
5. see 1.

A.

--
Alex Brown
Webmaster, Cable Internet

new user question

Post by Gene Wheelbarge » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I can only speak about my experience with apache 1.3.6, but perhaps
> it holds true here.

> >     i am just now getting into apache and unix.
> > i've got a linux 5.1 box with apache 1.3, and i've been working on
> > getting it configured to be a web server. my problem right now is that
> > when i pull up a browser and type in my ip number, i get a message
> > saying "Connection Refused"

> First thing that comes to my mind is that apache is configured for port
> 8080.  To test, try entering your IP number followed by colon and 8080
> as below:

> http://aaa.bb.ccc.dd:8080

> You can look in the file httpd.conf for the Port declaration.  By
> default,
> when apache is compiled and installed by root, the Port is set to 80,
> when installed by a "normal" user, the default Port is 8080.

> Henry Miller

  I tried what you suggested, and the browser told me  "Cycle Detected:
I haven't a clue what this could mean. I also checked the httpd.conf file,
and it is configured for port 80. I'm really confused.

new user question

Post by Gene Wheelbarge » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> >     i am just now getting into apache and unix.
> > i've got a linux 5.1 box with apache 1.3, and i've been working on
> > getting it configured to be a web server. my problem right now is that
> > when i pull up a browser and type in my ip number, i get a message
> > saying "Connection Refused"

> 1. What does the error log say?
> 2. What port is it serving from, are you allowed to connect to this?
> 3. see 1.
> 4. Which user is the server running as?
> 5. see 1.

> A.

> --
> Alex Brown
> Webmaster, Cable Internet

  I checked the error log and it says nothing about when i tried to access
the page, but whenever i load httpd, it inserts

[Sat Aug 28 08:20:12 1999] httpd: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Sat Aug 28 08:21:32 1999] created shared memory segment #0
[Sat Aug 28 08:21:33 1999] Server configured -- resuming normal operations

I'm not exactly sure what this means.
I checked the port from which it is serving, and it is set to 80. I'm
assuming that I can connect to this.
The server is running as a normal user that i created.

also, i checked the access log and it doesn't mention anything about my
trying to connect.
the only way i've gotten the test page to show is if i use 127.0.0.0
and that is the only access that is reported in any of the logs.

new user question

Post by Lucas Voge » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Gene,
        Looking at this problem I assume that you have a static IP address that
you can ping from another computer. I don't know too much about Apache
myself, but I got a static IP address that's accessible from outside.
All I did was register a domain name with FDNS Net ( http://fdns.net )
and I was good to go. If you can't get to your box from the outside,
then your localhost address will be all that will ever work. Also, be
sure to check out all of your network settings.

HTH/GL
Lucas Vogel
Brought to you by Caldera OpenLinux 2.2!

new user question

Post by Gene Wheelbarge » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Gene,
>         Looking at this problem I assume that you have a static IP address that
> you can ping from another computer. I don't know too much about Apache
> myself, but I got a static IP address that's accessible from outside.
> All I did was register a domain name with FDNS Net ( http://fdns.net )
> and I was good to go. If you can't get to your box from the outside,
> then your localhost address will be all that will ever work. Also, be
> sure to check out all of your network settings.

> HTH/GL
> --
> Lucas Vogel
> Brought to you by Caldera OpenLinux 2.2!

  actually, i don't have a static IP at this time. I'm testing this server from
home with a standard dialup connection. I'm testing this out to see if it would be
a viable alternative to an NT server for a client of mine. I have heard a lot
about the *nix systems and how great they are, so I thought I'd give them a try.
Anyways, whenever I'm trying to test my server, I find out my IP address from a
perl script on a server that lists environment variables. In the list of them, I
can find the IP number, and I use that. So far, I haven't been able to get
anything to work.

new user question

Post by Henry LeRoy Miller, Jr » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Gene -

> > Gene,
> >         Looking at this problem I assume that you have a static IP address that
> > you can ping from another computer. I don't know too much about Apache
> > myself, but I got a static IP address that's accessible from outside.
> > All I did was register a domain name with FDNS Net ( http://fdns.net )
> > and I was good to go. If you can't get to your box from the outside,
> > then your localhost address will be all that will ever work. Also, be
> > sure to check out all of your network settings.

> > HTH/GL
> > --
> > Lucas Vogel
> > Brought to you by Caldera OpenLinux 2.2!

>   actually, i don't have a static IP at this time. I'm testing this server from
> home with a standard dialup connection. I'm testing this out to see if it would be
> a viable alternative to an NT server for a client of mine. I have heard a lot
> about the *nix systems and how great they are, so I thought I'd give them a try.
> Anyways, whenever I'm trying to test my server, I find out my IP address from a
> perl script on a server that lists environment variables. In the list of them, I
> can find the IP number, and I use that. So far, I haven't been able to get
> anything to work.

How do you "use" the IP address?  Are you entering it as a virtual host,
or as the ServerName directive in the httpd.conf file, and then restarting the
apache server?

If you have enabled the server-status & server-info modules in apache, they
may be useful in checking out your configuration (read about them in the
provided apache docs).

Henry Miller

new user question

Post by Henry LeRoy Miller, Jr » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>   I checked the error log and it says nothing about when i tried to access
> the page, but whenever i load httpd, it inserts

How are you "loading" httpd?  ie: what does your command line read, and as
which user are you executing the command.

Quote:> [Sat Aug 28 08:20:12 1999] httpd: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
> [Sat Aug 28 08:21:32 1999] created shared memory segment #0
> [Sat Aug 28 08:21:33 1999] Server configured -- resuming normal operations

> I'm not exactly sure what this means.

The SIGTERM is a unix signal sent to terminate the running process.  It
appears
that you are sending a restart via apachectl.

Quote:> The server is running as a normal user that i created.

> also, i checked the access log and it doesn't mention anything about my
> trying to connect.

I suspect this is because there are problems with the other attempted
connections
and they would be logged in the error.log.  Have you increased the logging
level
from 'warn' (default) to 'debug'?  This may provide you with more info.  The
appropriate directive is LogLevel in httpd.conf.

Henry Miller

1. New User Questions

Setting up a new Unix server machine, and I have come accross a couple of
problems that someone might be able to help with.

1.  Where can I find the Zmodem transfer utilities (sz and rz)?

2.  How can I tell PICO to line wrap after reaching the end of a line
while editing a doccument?

3.  I'm getting ^M's after a cariage return during a talk session, how can
I avoid this?

4.  Finally, how do I properly configure the TIN newsreader to use the
PICO editor in order to post articles?

Whew... I hope someone can help me out.  Please e-mail me , because I'm
having problems with my newsreader to begin with.

--
                         Brandon Hunsicker
                   Mech II, Carleton University

2. How do I setup little X-Windows Terminals

3. new user question

4. Help setting up Samba Server with HP Laserjet 1000 USB Printer

5. New User Question

6. zip in fstab

7. New User Question: What are Slices?

8. config messaging server intranet mail sent out

9. New user question about the keyboard

10. new user question: ppp-off script

11. New User Question about ftp

12. New User Questions