Apache & log rotation

Post by Holger Burd » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

hi;

I am looking for a way to rotate my apache logs without a change in the
httpd.conf file. Does apache
respond to signals for this ? If not can - apache re-read the httpd.conf
without re-start (signal )?

thanks in advance

hb

Apache & log rotation

Post by Eric Jorgense » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

        I've generally used logrotate for log rotation.

 - Eric

> hi;

> I am looking for a way to rotate my apache logs without a change in the
> httpd.conf file. Does apache
> respond to signals for this ? If not can - apache re-read the httpd.conf
> without re-start (signal )?

> thanks in advance

> hb

Apache & log rotation

Post by Michael Lo » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You can use any utility to rotate the logs...you can even just write a
script to move the file.  But whatever you do, you'll have to restart
apache.  The best thing to do is a graceful restart (apachectl
graceful).

You can also set apache to pipe to a program and let that program
handle logs, but thats a very inefficient way of handling logs

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:20:15 -0700, Eric Jorgensen

>    I've generally used logrotate for log rotation.

> - Eric

>> hi;

>> I am looking for a way to rotate my apache logs without a change in the
>> httpd.conf file. Does apache
>> respond to signals for this ? If not can - apache re-read the httpd.conf
>> without re-start (signal )?

>> thanks in advance

>> hb

1. Apache log rotation script

I've been asked by a local ISP for whom we do web development, to come
up with a way to manage the Apache 'access', 'agent' and 'referrer'
logs.

I've checked the ApacheWeek tips section and I'm hoping someone has
got a working shell script they would share, or any advice - I am a
web site developer, not a server person, so be gentle. :)

They are running Apache 1.3.3 I believe, definately 1.3.X, on Solaris.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.

Robert L. Clendaniel
BayLogic Internet Marketing LLC

2. VPN with Symantec Velocity Raptor

3. Apache log rotation

4. Help: X problems

5. Apache - Log Rotation ?!

6. questions about time structure in C

7. Apache 1.3 log rotation and multiple users

8. PKERNEL: Warning: RPC/UDP receive queue are full, packet dropping

9. Piped Log Rotations in apache

10. stopping apache log rotation

11. Apache logs rotation

12. ANNOUNCE: an alternative log file rotation program for Apache

13. Apache Server Log Rotation and Analysis