Apache problem: Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process

Apache problem: Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process

Post by News Gu » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'm running Solaris 8 with Apache 1.3.9.

The websites hosted are what some might consider high traffic, in excess of
5 million impressions a month.  Everything works fine until the max httpd
processes exceed about 120.  At that point, all cgi scripts on all websites
result in (12)Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process: (script file)"
The server is a sun sparc 20 with +310 RAM and only runs apache on it, so I
can't see why this is happening.  The servers max users and processes are
plenty, apache is configured for a good amount of traffic, higher than the
default.  I've tried a thousand things and none seem to work.  From my
research, this error is output from the perl programs forking, and not
having enough space (I have no idea what "space" it is refering to), which
causes mod_cgi to output the error.  The server resources are fine, and
everything but apache works perfectly.  Even apache works fine before that
120ish mark of processes.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Post by Da » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:36:26

> I'm running Solaris 8 with Apache 1.3.9.

> The websites hosted are what some might consider high traffic, in excess of
> 5 million impressions a month.  Everything works fine until the max httpd
> processes exceed about 120.  At that point, all cgi scripts on all websites
> result in (12)Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process: (script file)"
> The server is a sun sparc 20 with +310 RAM and only runs apache on it, so I
> can't see why this is happening.  The servers max users and processes are
> plenty, apache is configured for a good amount of traffic, higher than the
> default.  I've tried a thousand things and none seem to work.  From my
> research, this error is output from the perl programs forking, and not
> having enough space (I have no idea what "space" it is refering to), which
> causes mod_cgi to output the error.  The server resources are fine, and
> everything but apache works perfectly.  Even apache works fine before that
> 120ish mark of processes.

Don't suppose either:

1. All those httpd's running are taking up enough resources that the
   machine can't load the Perl interpreter to handle one of those
   scripts, or

2. The httpd's *plus* the number of CGI's you have running are having
   that result?

I've seen too many CGI's going at once bring a similar SGI to its
knees more than a few times. ;)

-Dan (and don't even ask about my '486 running Linux... ;)

--
Dan Birchall - Palolo Valley, Honolulu HI - http://dan.scream.org
Post your reviews; get paid: http://epinions.scream.org/join.html

1. Apache and 'couldn't spawn child process'

I'm running Apache 1.3.3 under Linux 2.0.35, and everything is working fine,
except every one in a while I get in my log file:

[Fri Feb 26 16:40:31 1999] [error] [client 24.226.98.184] (11)Try again:
couldn't spawn child process: /script.cgi.

If I go back and do the exact same thing, it works.  Happens about 20% of the
time.  I obviously maxed my number of processes because I have a really busy
site with alot of CGI, but I need to know what to change to fix this.

Anyone?

2. IndexIgnore with .htaccess

3. Applixware running on FreeBSD?

4. Why Apache says 'reason: couldn't spawn child process'?

5. ksh and stty under SunOS

6. Couldn't spawn child process - Apache webserver problem on FreeBSD system.

7. condition from shell in Imakefile

8. No such file or directory: couldn't spawn child process: e:/apache/htdocs/test.pl

9. Apache 1.3.3 - "Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process"

10. Apache couldn't spawn child process

11. Apache: "Couldn't spawn child process" running CGI script

12. "couldn't spawn child process error" on Apache 1.2/IRIX 6.2