error starting httpd - local host name cannot be resolved

error starting httpd - local host name cannot be resolved

Post by Bertini Alice » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could give some hints as to how to get
the apache 1.2.4 server running on a Sun 4/470 box with Solaris 2.4.
I'm getting the following errors when I try and start it up:

# /usr/local/www/httpd -d /usr/local/www
# httpd: cannot determine local host name.
Use ServerName to set it manually.
#

I tried setting the ServerName to my host in httpd.conf with
no luck. I'm able to resolve the local hostname through the DNS
using nslookup. I seem to remember a problem way back when with
gethostbyname() but I thought that was fixed in Solaris ??

Thanks for any suggestions,
Alice

error starting httpd - local host name cannot be resolved

Post by Marc Slemk » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi folks,
>I was wondering if someone could give some hints as to how to get
>the apache 1.2.4 server running on a Sun 4/470 box with Solaris 2.4.
>I'm getting the following errors when I try and start it up:
># /usr/local/www/httpd -d /usr/local/www
># httpd: cannot determine local host name.
>Use ServerName to set it manually.
>#
>I tried setting the ServerName to my host in httpd.conf with
>no luck. I'm able to resolve the local hostname through the DNS
>using nslookup. I seem to remember a problem way back when with
>gethostbyname() but I thought that was fixed in Solaris ??

It could be caused by interactions between NIS ory our /etc/hosts
file.

Are you _sure_ you have a ServerName set for the main host and for
each virtual host?  Are you sure you set it in the right config
file, ie. not another copy of the config files that aren't being
used?