Need browser on server to install Netscape Enterprise

Need browser on server to install Netscape Enterprise

Post by Alan Abra » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi. Yeah, I'm another Windows baby getting hung up on UNIX. I have a
Sun Sparc station I want to install Netscape Enterprise server on.

Do I _have_ to have a Netscape brower installed on the Sparc station
first, or can I configure the Enterprise server from a Windows NT work
station connected through TCP/IP?

I ask because I can't figure our how to run Motif on the Sparc (for
all I know, it's not installed on there). I managed to bring up the X
Window by typing xinit, but I couldn't get any farther.

As you can surely see, I am an idiot with UNIX, but if you can be of
any help I would appeciate it. If I can't get Enterprise running on
this Sparc, the forces of NT at my company are bound to be triumphant
when it comes to Web servers around here. I'm sure you wouldn't want
that.

Thx.

--Alan Abrams

Post by Geoffrey D » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Hi. Yeah, I'm another Windows baby getting hung up on UNIX. I have a
>Sun Sparc station I want to install Netscape Enterprise server on.
>Do I _have_ to have a Netscape brower installed on the Sparc station
>first, or can I configure the Enterprise server from a Windows NT work
>station connected through TCP/IP?

As far as I can remember ( from the documentation ) you must install the files,
start a small admin server and then you can connect to it from anywhere with a web browser.

Quote:>I ask because I can't figure our how to run Motif on the Sparc (for
>all I know, it's not installed on there). I managed to bring up the X
>Window by typing xinit, but I couldn't get any farther.
>As you can surely see, I am an idiot with UNIX, but if you can be of
>any help I would appeciate it. If I can't get Enterprise running on
>this Sparc, the forces of NT at my company are bound to be triumphant
>when it comes to Web servers around here. I'm sure you wouldn't want
>that.

If your company has expertise in NT then maybe switching to NT is a good thing.
I would not reccomend a unix server if no one can administer it.

Quote:>Thx.

--

Systems Programmer (ITS) Ph   : (03) 62267415
University of Tasmania   Mail : GPO Box 252-69 Hobart Tasmania 7001

Post by Alan Abra » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>Hi. Yeah, I'm another Windows baby getting hung up on UNIX. I have a
>>Sun Sparc station I want to install Netscape Enterprise server on.
>>Do I _have_ to have a Netscape brower installed on the Sparc station
>>first, or can I configure the Enterprise server from a Windows NT work
>>station connected through TCP/IP?
>As far as I can remember ( from the documentation ) you must install the files,
>start a small admin server and then you can connect to it from anywhere with a web browser.

Believe it or not, I actually managed this. But I'm still having a
problem. When I try and start up a new server it errors out by telling
me port 80 is unavailable. (This is not true, I checked the
etc/services file and nothing is assigned to port 80; I even tried
some other ports with no luck). The funny thing is that the server
seems to be running off of port 80 anyway. At least it shows me the
files I expect when I type in the URL from my NT workstation.

Quote:>>I ask because I can't figure our how to run Motif on the Sparc (for
>>all I know, it's not installed on there). I managed to bring up the X
>>Window by typing xinit, but I couldn't get any farther.
>>As you can surely see, I am an idiot with UNIX, but if you can be of
>>any help I would appeciate it. If I can't get Enterprise running on
>>this Sparc, the forces of NT at my company are bound to be triumphant
>>when it comes to Web servers around here. I'm sure you wouldn't want
>>that.
>If your company has expertise in NT then maybe switching to NT is a good thing.
>I would not reccomend a unix server if no one can administer it.

Well...it's not so much that my company has no expertise in UNIX; it's
more that my part of the company doesn't. But, I think we really need
to. The server we actually have our home page posted on is a UNIX box
owned by our parent company and administered by an outside provider I
do not have total faith in. I'd like to have a better understanding of
how the server with our Web page is running on can be administered and
configured. That's why I want to get the same server application
(Netscape Enterprise) running on the same operating system (UNIX) on a
box I have direct control over.

--AA

>>Thx.
>>--Alan Abrams
>--

>Systems Programmer (ITS) Ph   : (03) 62267415
>University of Tasmania   Mail : GPO Box 252-69 Hobart Tasmania 7001

1. Non Netscape Proxy between Netscape Commerce Server & Netscape Browser

When trying to access http://www.internet.net/ we received the following
error within Netscape:

Error 400
Invalid request "CONNECT www.internet.net:443 HTTP/1.0" (unknown method)

When accessing the page through Mosaic we get the page without any errors!

Looking further into this, we realized that the http site was using a Netsite-Commerce/1.0 server.  Another note is internally we access the outside
world using a proxy server(CERN). On further investigation, we realized
that our environment variable in Netscape, Security Proxy, was set to our
proxy server.  Yet our proxy server (CERN) does not offer any of the
security methods.

How can we enable the CERN Proxy server to be able to pass through Netscapes security queries?  Any information would be helpful!

                        Thanks,
                        Vicki.

2. WindowMaker segfault

3. Netscape Enterprise Server: help needed

4. Problems with AMD and showmount

5. Installing Tomcat as a plugin for Netscape Enterprise Server?

6. ".o" file zero length after compiling ... Why ??

7. Installing Netscape Enterprise Server

8. slow browser following ppp setup

9. Cannot Restart Netscape Enterprise Server After Install SafeWeb Plug-In

10. Help needed with Netscape Enterprise server 2.0 and Directory listings

11. Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0- need to run "last login" report

12. need for help on netscape enterprise server & acl

13. Help needed with Netscape proxy server/browser