Want access logs from mirror sites for university research

Want access logs from mirror sites for university research

Post by Ken Christense » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:45:47

Hello all, one of my graduate students is investigating web redirection for
load balancing of mirrored web servers.  To better understand the possible
benefits of automatic redirection (e.g., to a geographically closer or less
loaded server), we need to characterize the problem.  One way to do this is
by studying access logs from mirrored servers.

Is it possible to obtain access logs from apache.org mirror sites?  Are the
apache.org mirror sites all independently owned and operated, or is there
some central control (a central control who might be able to procure access
logs)?  Is there some other organization than apache.org than has many
mirror sites and could share their access logs?  Most helpful would be
access logs from multiple sites from the same time period (say, all from the
same week).

Any advice or thoughts on quantifying the automatic redirection problem are
of interest to us.

Thanks!

Ken Christensen
 University of South Florida
 http://www.csee.usf.edu/~christen

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:20:36

> Is it possible to obtain access logs from apache.org mirror sites?  Are the
> apache.org mirror sites all independently owned and operated, or is there
> some central control (a central control who might be able to procure access
> logs)?

The apache mirror network is VERY decentralized.  The foundation has
practically no control over the mirrors, other than the decision to
list them on the website or not.  There is a database containing
contact information for the mirror maintainers, but it may or may not
be accurate.  If you want this data, you should probably subscribe and
post to the mirrors mailing list, which you can find linked from
http://www.apache.org/

--
Joshua Slive

Post by Paul Rubi » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:00:11

> Is it possible to obtain access logs from apache.org mirror sites?  Are the
> apache.org mirror sites all independently owned and operated, or is there
> some central control (a central control who might be able to procure access
> logs)?  Is there some other organization than apache.org than has many
> mirror sites and could share their access logs?  Most helpful would be
> access logs from multiple sites from the same time period (say, all from the
> same week).

> Any advice or thoughts on quantifying the automatic redirection problem are
> of interest to us.

I realize your intentions are good, but giving web server logs to a
third party has bad privacy implications towards people who have
downloaded from the mirror sites.  I wouldn't give my server logs to
anybody and I periodically scrub them.  If I were hosting something
controversial, I'd set up the server to not log at all.

Besides apache.org, all kinds of sites are mirrored (gnu.org is a huge
example).  I wouldn't encourage anyone to give out raw logs, but if
you want some kind of statistical aggregate info that can be distilled
from the logs without identifying individual client addresses, that
might be reasonable.