file size of httpd

Post by itsamoo.. » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:44:20

I'm attempting to compile apache myself after having used red hat
precompiled version sucessfully for sometime now.

For redhat I get

---------------------
#ls  /usr/sbin/httpd -s
 288 /usr/sbin/httpd
----------------------
i.e. the binary file is only 288kb

Default configure of 1.3.14 gives me a httpd size of about 600kb.
I have now edited src/Configuration file manually and the file size
is a bit lower but does not come anywhere close of 288kb file of red hat

Can anyone help me figure out how I can compile apache better?  I don't
need virtual hosting etc and it seems that red hat compiled version
comes with virtual hosting enabled etc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

file size of httpd

Post by Miguel Cr » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:19:07

> Default configure of 1.3.14 gives me a httpd size of about 600kb.
> I have now edited src/Configuration file manually and the file size
> is a bit lower but does not come anywhere close of 288kb file of red hat

> Can anyone help me figure out how I can compile apache better?  I don't
> need virtual hosting etc and it seems that red hat compiled version
> comes with virtual hosting enabled etc.

You can't build without virtual server support.

You can, however, 'strip' the binary, which will make it substantially
smaller. I assume you don't have big plans for running gdb on it.

miguel

file size of httpd

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:59:00

>> Default configure of 1.3.14 gives me a httpd size of about 600kb.
>> I have now edited src/Configuration file manually and the file size
>> is a bit lower but does not come anywhere close of 288kb file of red hat

>> Can anyone help me figure out how I can compile apache better?  I don't
>> need virtual hosting etc and it seems that red hat compiled version
>> comes with virtual hosting enabled etc.
> You can't build without virtual server support.
> You can, however, 'strip' the binary, which will make it substantially
> smaller. I assume you don't have big plans for running gdb on it.

Redhat configures their server with mod_so and with all the
other modules dynamically loaded.  Therefore, the main binary looks
smaller, but the total size is the same.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

1. httpd start [FAILED]: file size limit exceeded

Hi,

I am attempting to troubleshoot an apache issue - first I got an error
message that apache could not find a server.key file (that was in fact
there with proper permissions), so I ran the openssl rsa command to
unencrypt the file - now I am running into this issue.

/usr/sbin/apachectl graceful: httpd not running, trying to start
/usr/sbin/apachectl: line 198:  2063 File size limit exceeded$HTTPD
/usr/sbin/apachectl graceful: httpd could not be started

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. USB modem under 4.1.1

3. File size problem, what is the biggest size of a Linux file?

4. 2.0.24 Tryout

5. Installing httpd to /var/httpd or to /usr/local/etc/httpd

6. struct termios

7. LV size and file system size

8. How to install modules on a compilated apache

9. PArtiton size and file size

10. Largest file size and partition size limits on Solaris 2.X?

11. Size max files based on memory size

12. LV size and file system size

13. CERN Httpd configuration file (Proxy Protection in seperate file)