Error starting Apache on Redhat 6.1

Post by Brent Tucke » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I think this is probably a pretty basic question, but we all have to start
somewhere, right?

I installed Redhat 6.1 last night, and everything worked fine.  The httpd
processes were running when I left.

This morning, the httpd processes were stopped, and I had this message in
the error_log:

[Wed Nov 24 00:07:27 1999] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

When I try to restart the httpd daemon, I get this:

Starting httpd: httpd: cannot determine local host name.
Use the ServerName directive to set it manually.
                                                           [FAILED]

However, the machine has a host name, as shown here:

Linux linux52 2.2.12-20 #1 Mon Sep 27 10:25:54 EDT 1999 i586 unknown

So, I am confused.  Am I mixing up the Unix hostname with an Apache host
name?  Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks,

Brent

1. Can't start Apache 1.3.9 with PHP3.0.16 on RedHat 6.1

This is driving me crazy.  I've built PHP 3.0.16 from source and I'm
trying to get it to work with Apache 1.3.9 (as delivered in the
apache-1.3.9-8.rpm).  I've followed the instructions in the PHP
documentation, including the must-read RedHat instructions (which don't
seem to apply in my case since I'm not using RPMs for PHP) and it simply
does not work (apache won't start.)

I've built PHP as a DSO and I have:

   LoadModule php3_module      libexec/libphp3.so
   AddModule mod_php3.c

in my /etc/http/http.conf file.

When I try to start apache I get, "httpd: httpd startup succeeded" on
the console but it does not in fact start (there is no httpd process.)
If I remove:

   AddModule mod_php3.c

Then I at least get, "[error] Cannot remove module mod_php3.c: not found
in module list" and Apache won't start. If I remove, "LoadModule
php3_module..." then apache starts

I did have PHP4, beta1 installed but have since removed it from any
configuration file and from the apache modules directory.  PHP4
installed and ran with no problem.  I thought perhaps that something
from PHP4 was still lying around causing my problem, but I haven't been
able to find anyting.

httpd -l reports:

Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c

Someone please beat me with a cluestick.

2. sysctl net.* question

3. RH 6.1 -- plz help with errors in starting httpd (Apache)

4. Addtron AEF-320TX and -380TX

5. self-compiled httpd does not start (suse 6.1 / apache 1.3.x))

6. mke2fs a good fs (meant to e2fsck instead)

7. Redhat 6.1 Gnome start up problem

8. error with apache 1.2b8

9. xfs on RedHat 6.1 fails to start

10. How do I start RedHat 6.1

11. Redhat 6.1 won't start (even once)

12. Problem starting xwindows on redhat 6.1

13. Problem iBCS appeared starting from the version Linux RedHat 6.1