Virtual hosts FAQ: I AM STARTING ONE

Post by Blake Swens » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

One of the most common questions I see on this newsgroup are ones pertaining
to virtual hosting.  I would like to start a FAQ about this subject, which
I'll post to this newsgroup regularly.

I do not pretend to be an expert on the subject-- as a matter of fact, I have
a hard time with setting them up and I need to know more... so the reason for
starting this FAQ is purely selfish. :)

If you are an expert on the subject, or are getting tired of answering the
same questions over and over again, then please contribute.  Can't offer money
for contributions, but your name will go down in the history of gurudom.

Send your flames to /dev/null

Some of the questions I see so far are:

How do I set up more than one IP address on the same net card?
        Solaris?
        NeXT?
        SunOS?
        BSDI?
        Linux?
        FreeBSD?
        Others?

What does the BindAddress directive do and do I need one for every virutal
host?

What directives can I/should I include in the <VirtualHost foo.bar.net>
section?

How can I make ~/username/public_html the document root of a virtual host?

How does the non-IP based virtual host work?

How do I increase the number of vitual hosts?

What do I need to do to DNS entries to make virtual hosts work?

What server works best for virtual hosting: CERN, Apache, Netscape (others?)?

Post by Brian Scho » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>How do I set up more than one IP address on the same net card?
>    Solaris?
>    NeXT?
>    SunOS?
>    BSDI?
>    Linux?
>    FreeBSD?
>    Others?

While were on this subject -- Anyone have any IDEA how to setup
virtual aliases on HPUX 10.10?

TIA - Brian
============ One of "The People Behind MicroStation" ================
Brian W. Schott                                 Phone: (610) 458-2691
Bentley Systems, Inc.                             FAX: (610) 458-1060
690 Pennsylvania Drive                         CompuServe: 73370,2236

============ We're on the Web http://www.bentley.com ================

Post by Bertrand Lecont » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >How do I set up more than one IP address on the same net card?
> >       Solaris?
> >       NeXT?
> >       SunOS?
> >       BSDI?
> >       Linux?
> >       FreeBSD?
> >       Others?

> While were on this subject -- Anyone have any IDEA how to setup
> virtual aliases on HPUX 10.10?

==============

There is a patch by HP to support this in standard HP-UX 10.x

--
Bertrand Leconte
Alcanet International France

Post by Kevin Stev » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>While were on this subject -- Anyone have any IDEA how to setup
>virtual aliases on HPUX 10.10?

PHNE_7107 and PHNE_7108 are available for HP-UX 10.01
and 10.10 respectively, and contain the following:

                ( SR number:  4701319178  )
        Provide the 'ifalias' command as an interface to the
        multiple IP address aliasing IO controls.  This allows
        administrators to use multiple IP addresses an a given
        network interface.

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. Sendmail in Redhat 5.1

3. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

4. SYS.COM for linux?

5. Virtual Hosts FAQ: First edition

6. Challenge: time(3) equivalent as shell script

7. Virtual Hosting FAQ, does any one have a copy

8. Converting to AIX

9. Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

10. Virtual Host defaults to first host

11. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

12. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

13. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting