Newbie question about directory index under Apache web server

Newbie question about directory index under Apache web server

Post by Keith Boon » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:53:52

If I make a link to a directory, and do not provide an index.html,
Apache
creates an index for me, which I believe is the default action.  This is
great
and in fact exactly what I want, however I would like to know how to put

information into the description field which is currently empty.

--
 Keith Boone

Post by Rich Bowe » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:25:18

> If I make a link to a directory, and do not provide an index.html,
> Apache
> creates an index for me, which I believe is the default action.  This is
> great
> and in fact exactly what I want, however I would like to know how to put

> information into the description field which is currently empty.

What you're looking for, and more, is covered in
http://apachetoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-10-09-001-01-NW-LF-SW

--

Come see me at Apachecon! -- http://www.apachecon.com/

Newbie question about directory index under Apache web server

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:27:53

Quote:> If I make a link to a directory, and do not provide an index.html, Apache
> creates an index for me, which I believe is the default action.  This is
> great and in fact exactly what I want, however I would like to know how to
> put information into the description field which is currently empty.

The documentation is always a nifty place to start (faster results than
newsgroups, too!):

   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html#adddescription

miguel

Newbie question about directory index under Apache web server

Post by Keith Boon » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:27:19

Yes, thanks for that but I've spent quite some time
reading the documentation before posting.  Problem is I
don't fully understand what they are saying.  Where exactly
does one place the AddDescription directive?

--
 Keith Boone

Newbie question about directory index under Apache web server

Post by Miguel Cr » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:20:15

Quote:> Yes, thanks for that but I've spent quite some time
> reading the documentation before posting.  Problem is I
> don't fully understand what they are saying.  Where exactly
> does one place the AddDescription directive?

"Context: server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess"

You can place it more or less anywhere.

miguel

Newbie question about directory index under Apache web server

Post by Keith Boon » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 04:29:21

Still not understanding this.  If I want to put it in a
directory, how do I do that?  Do I create a file
which is placed in the directory?  If so, what should
it be called, where do I find the correct syntax for
the file contents?  Thanks again for your help.

--
 Keith Boone

Newbie question about directory index under Apache web server

Post by Miguel Cr » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:50:57

Quote:> Still not understanding this.  If I want to put it in a
> directory, how do I do that?  Do I create a file
> which is placed in the directory?  If so, what should
> it be called, where do I find the correct syntax for
> the file contents?  Thanks again for your help.

Assuming you haven't changed any of the defaults for AccessFileName or
AllowOverride, you should be able to create a file called '.htaccess'
and put a line in it like this:

  AddDescription 'The sum of all fears' miguel_nose.gif

miguel