ES 2.01 on SGI Indigo2 hangs

Post by Wes Barr » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

We are running the Netscape Enterprise server (v2.01) on an SGI R4K Indigo2
running IRIX 6.2.  After about two days, the server (www.arc.umn.edu) stops
serving documents -- the browser connecting to this site just spins its
wheels.  When this happens, I check the number of server processes:

ps -fu nobody | wc -l
           132

I then kill and restart the server and everything works properly for about
two more days at which time the server has to be restarted again.

I have tried "tuning" the SGI workstation according to:

http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/Resources/res_TuningGuide.html#n...

However, the parameter "tcp_keep_timer_in_close = 1" does not exist in my
/var/sysgen/master.d/bsd file as the above Web page describes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?
Wes Barris                                                   PH: (612) 626-8090

ES 2.01 on SGI Indigo2 hangs

Post by Mike Stuc » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: We are running the Netscape Enterprise server (v2.01) on an SGI R4K Indigo2
: running IRIX 6.2.  After about two days, the server (www.arc.umn.edu) stops
: serving documents -- the browser connecting to this site just spins its
: wheels.  When this happens, I check the number of server processes:
:
: ps -fu nobody | wc -l
:            132

The ISP I work at had a problem with one sites it was hosting, which had
gone from a couple thousand hits a day to upwards of 40,000. Turned out
there was a maximum number of TCP connections allowed in the OS (Solaris
2.5.2 on Sparc 20). This fixed at least the immediate problem. In that
particular situation, the server simply refused connections.

Just what exactly is your symptom? Is it refusing a connection, or simply
not sending any data? You might want to telnet to port 80 of your server
to help figure out the difference.

Have you tried searching Netscape's documentation on the Web, which in
most cases is pretty good?

Good luck!

Mike, just a tech support guy who's had to pick up waaay too much
experience with waaaay too many web servers on waaay too many platforms.

ES 2.01 on SGI Indigo2 hangs

Post by Edwin T » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

We've ran into the same problem with our ES2.01 and IRIX 5.3 on a Challenge
DM, only that we are much worst than yours - we have >30 servers running.

In one case where hits are real big, we have to do a cron job restarting the
ES in a period of half an hour.

We now have our webping reported intermediate interruption of services
perhaps once or twice in two days time.

Sometimes, a restart will kill (well almost, see below) the ES and we have to
do a stop-start in order to bring it back to life.

We also found that a restart to a hang ES will sometimes also leave it in a
state where only a few processes (threads ??) remains (usually below 4,
whereas normal is 32) and still responsless.

We did followed the tuning guide and compared the results before and after
the tuning - besides slight though obvious performance improvement, the
server hang problems remains unsolved, therefore, I suspect it is not just
simple kernel tuning will help.

Any ideas ?

>We are running the Netscape Enterprise server (v2.01) on an SGI R4K Indigo2
>running IRIX 6.2.  After about two days, the server (www.arc.umn.edu) stops
>serving documents -- the browser connecting to this site just spins its
>wheels.  When this happens, I check the number of server processes:

>ps -fu nobody | wc -l
>           132

>I then kill and restart the server and everything works properly for about
>two more days at which time the server has to be restarted again.

>I have tried "tuning" the SGI workstation according to:

>http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/Resources/res_TuningGuide.html#n...
tuning

>However, the parameter "tcp_keep_timer_in_close = 1" does not exist in my
>/var/sysgen/master.d/bsd file as the above Web page describes.

>Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?
===
>Wes Barris                                                   PH: (612)
626-8090

--
Edwin TAM
The Web Connection Ltd.

---
  "Your Christ is a Jew, your car Japanese, your pizza Italian,
   your democracy Greek, your coffee Brazilian, your holiday Turkish,
   your numbers Arabic, your letters Latin.  And your neighbor is a
foreigner?
  (a German poster)

1. Netscape ES 2.01 with 32k+ users

Hi:

        I am having som problem with Netscape Enterprise 2.01 Server.
Currently, I have about 14k users on the system and is growing at a rate
of 400 daily.  As a result, my server will soon hit the 32k mark, which
is the limit of number directories can hold in a directory

        I understand that there is a forwarding function in Netscape.  However,
as the forwarding entries are contained in a flat file, the list will be
very difficult to manage in a large scale.  Plus, I have tested that a
long config files will have impact on the server's perfomance as well.

        Has anyone had similar problems and know how to resolve it?  I am open
to all suggestion.

Thanks in advance

ming

2. cannot see public webserver from internal lan

3. Problems installing xrn on SGI indigo2

4. HP Deskjet 3538, how to install the driver?

5. Where to get or buy ES-255 and ES-220 or exchanging with ES-310 ?

6. SUN USER GROUP EAST COAST CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION, JUNE, BOSTON

7. FS: SGI Indigo2, 200Mhz, Extreme Graphics

8. cdrom mount

9. Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

10. Help: admin server hang on FastTrack 2.01

11. KDE2 on SGI Indigo2

12. linux on SGI indigo2