accessing localhost

Post by dave » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 17:12:46

This has nothing to do with apache.

The easiest way out is to use linuxconf to configure
your IP,subnet and gateway in your linux server.

David

> I'm running a default install of apache 1.3.14 on Red Hat Linux 7.0.
> When I attempt to access localhost with a browser or telnet, there's no
> response from the server.
> Does this sound like an apache config problem or something else?

> --

> -Shawn Page

accessing localhost

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 23:14:55

>I'm running a default install of apache 1.3.14 on Red Hat Linux 7.0.
>When I attempt to access localhost with a browser or telnet, there's no
>response from the server.
>Does this sound like an apache config problem or something else?

Assuming you either installed an apache package or compiled it yourself
after reading the instructions, do any httpd processes show in 'ps ax' or
do the apache logs (or /var/log/messages) give you any clue?  Does
http://127.0.0.1/ give you an error?  Does /sbin/ifconfig show the lo
interface up with IP 127.0.0.1?  Did you alter anything in the 127.0.0.1
line of /etc/hosts?

accessing localhost

Post by Bill Mosele » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 15:35:55

Quote:> I'm running a default install of apache 1.3.14 on Red Hat Linux 7.0.
> When I attempt to access localhost with a browser or telnet, there's no
> response from the server.
> Does this sound like an apache config problem or something else?

My car doesn't start.  Do you think it's a broken timing chain?

Sounds like your keyboard might be disconnected.

Or that your host file is messed up.

Or you forgot to to add localhost to your zone file.

Or you speled locolhost wrong.

Or you told apache to listen to the wrong port.

Or you forgot to start apache.

Or you forgot to look at the error_log file.

Or you got slashdotted.

Maybe one of those.  Or something else, too.

--
Bill Moseley

1. Can't access localhost

Hello all,

I'm using RedHat6.0, Netscape Communicator 4.6 and I want to use Squid
and Junkbuster. My problem is that I can't seem to use localhost as a
proxy. I set up the proxy information as required, but Netscape can't
connect to it. Junkuster gives me this error when it starts up, then
dies:

 /usr/sbin/junkbuster: can't bind 127.0.0.1:8000: Cannot assign
requested address
There may be another junkbuster or some other proxy running on port 8000

If I try Squid, I get this error:

1999/07/23 09:09:38| commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 1 to 127.0.0.1:0:
(99) Cannot assign requested address
1999/07/23 09:09:38| ipcCreate: Failed to create child FD.
1999/07/23 09:09:38| WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/lib/squid/dnsserver'
process.

I can't telnet to localhost either. It just sits there ("trying
localhost").

Anybody know what the heck I did? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Vito DeFilippo

remove INVALID if you wish to email

2. Help! I can't run DOOM!

3. Where is tty0?

4. localhost -> localhost?

5. Wan Interace Cards

6. Samba Server (Localhost) - LOCALHOST?!?!?

7. Compiling IDE Floppy support into Kernel

8. IPCHAINS and mail on localhost: unable to send mail from localhost

9. Accessing http://localhost gives different pages in Netscape and kfm

10. Netscape can't access "localhost" without network connected?

11. Samba localhost access denied.