Apache and ö

Post by Henning Behm » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Running both Apache 1.2.5 and 1.3 (Solaris 2.5) I have encountered a
problem with a specific character in the Location field. As an example,
put a small script (showenv) on a server that prints out all the
environment there is. Trying various things within the Location field
(querying) I had the following problem regarding characters used in
German:

http://myserver.domain.de/cgi-bin/showenv?arg=Jrgen
http://myserver.domain.de/cgi-bin/showenv?arg=S?ren

In the first case QUERY_STRING has the value "Jrgen", in the second one
unfortunately it only consists of "S", the o-Umlaut vanishes and, the
rest "ren" ist the first part of the value of SERVER_PROTOCOL.

The funny thing is that similar characters (like ??) don't impress the
server - they are simply passed

I know that this is not really an Apache problem since only characters
of the 7 bit US ASCII set are supposed to be part of a URL (following
RFC 1738, 2.2. URL Character Encoding Issues). On the other hand German
(French, Swedish...) users and content providers might name their web
files and directories using _their_ country-specific letters. Therefore,
wouldn't it be a nice idea to "render" at least 256 characters in a URL
(not to mention future Unicode requirements...)?

Best regards,

Henning Behme

iX - Magazin fuer professionelle Informationstechnik
Helstorfer Str. 7 * 30625 Hannover * Germany
http://www.heise.de/ix/ * +49 511 5352-374 * -361 (Fax)
------ White, adj. and n. Black  (Ambrose Bierce) ------

Apache and ö

Post by Marc Slemk » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Running both Apache 1.2.5 and 1.3 (Solaris 2.5) I have encountered a
>problem with a specific character in the Location field. As an example,
>put a small script (showenv) on a server that prints out all the
>environment there is. Trying various things within the Location field
>(querying) I had the following problem regarding characters used in
>German:

Fixed in 1.3.1.

1. PERL && mod_perl && FreeBSD && Apache

k, I don't know where this falls under or who I should be asking... but
here's my problem.

mod_perl port installed Perl modules in
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/Apache/' but didn't

have to rebuild the system perl components? the mod_perl? or is there a conf
file somewhere that I cannot find?

could 'mv' everything as well... but I would like to hear some other
opinions or options.

Thanks

2. Virus kills LILO

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Canon IX-4015 Scanner

5. problems with (Apache && Solaris && mod_perl)

6. Q: Scanner lost during kernelchange 1.1.53 to 1.1.54, why?

7. Apache && CGI && uid || back to cern?

8. Ping eth0 and eth1 responds

9. Help with Apache SSL && Apache servers sharing content

12. Network Monitoring & Apache & SunOS & Virtual Hosting

13. 没有人用中文吗?