internal server error in running cgi from a just installed apache /linux /redhat

internal server error in running cgi from a just installed apache /linux /redhat

Post by s.. » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:21:15

HI,

I have just installed Linux Redhat 7 (same problem I found on the 6.2).

Apache, once configured the simple directive

ServerName Whatever

in the httpd.conf file, works perfectly (without any compiling job).

But, I cannot configure a single cgi scripts who runs without getting
the unfamous "internal server error".

I've tried with super-tested CGIs, I think mod_perl is correctly
installed, but still the cgi scripts doesnt work.

As this is a "default installation" form a redhat 7 cd, the situation
should be common to all the redhat installed Linux OSs.

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot,

Stefano

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

internal server error in running cgi from a just installed apache /linux /redhat

Post by x_x_x_x » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:03:15

This is NOT RedHat. The distribution packages a version of Apache which runs
cgi's fine. There must be something wrong with your configuration. BTW, the
default Apache configuration runs cgi's fine... If you want to run cgi's in
say.... / instead of /cgi-bin (where this is relative to your web doc
root...) You can use the Options ExecCGI and AddHandler cgi-script .cgi. All
files with the .cgi extension will be executed where you have these options
turned on. Read /etc/httpd/httpd.conf and the MANUAL. Make sure that the
files you download are NOT DOS files. (You can translate them into Unix
files by using `tr`.) The cgi's will not run if they are in the wrong
format. You must also be sure to put all cgi's in cgi-bin, or you can change
your configuration. To run cgi's you don't actually have to have mod_perl
installed, but if you run perl scripts, then you might want it. Make sure to
read your Apache error log; it should be in /var/log/httpd/error_log (I
*THINK*--can't remember off of the top of my head right now). The messages
are quite informative. You might want to post some of the error log if the
information in this post does not help you.

The best of luck.

x_x_x_x2