1. Slow response from Apache or just slow network?
Intermittently I get very very slow response from the server. The
problem often goes away by next morning or next day, so I am having
trouble pinpointing whether the problem is with the server, with where
it is getting accessed from or with the network.
The server is running, redhat linux
$ uname -a
Linux poley 2.4.2-2 #1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
Error logs in apache do not contain any unusual information,
[notice] Apache/1.3.23 (Unix) PHP/4.1.2 configured -- resuming normal
There are no tcpwrappers, and logs are based on IP so host lookup should
not be an issue. How would I find out if it was?
The servers overall load is low, it does not seem to be low on anything.
10:55pm up 5 days, 10:55, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
98 processes: 97 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 0.8% user, 0.2% system, 0.0% nice, 7.7% idle
Mem: 254332K av, 220968K used, 33364K free, 0K shrd, 8408K
Swap: 136512K av, 252K used, 136260K free 143940K
There is plenty of disk space. I do not beleive the network connection
is getting used to capacity, but say I had a slow network card which
could potentially lead to this problem when there was lots of network
traffic, how would I debug that?
Ping/traceroute does not ssem to indicate any problem.
I would appreciate any help that would help me solve this problem. The
problem may or may not be Apache related, server status from Apache does
not seem to indicate anything out of the ordinary
Current Time: Tuesday, 19-Mar-2002 23:02:05 EST
Restart Time: Thursday, 14-Mar-2002 12:01:10 EST
Parent Server Generation: 5
Server uptime: 5 days 11 hours 55 seconds
Total accesses: 7285 - Total Traffic: 43.0 MB
CPU Usage: u159.52 s10.29 cu.64 cs.74 - .0363% CPU load
.0154 requests/sec - 95 B/second - 6.0 kB/request
1 requests currently being processed, 9 idle servers
Any ideas on where I should look next?
2. Archive Viper 150S Jumper Settings?
3. Slow CGI Responses with HTTPD
4. Zoom modem 2819
5. Slow Telnet response, fast rlogin response
6. Z-shell Frequently-Asked Questions
7. Slow response on eth1, fast response on eth0
8. port forwarding
9. CGI: apache canned response
10. Forcing a 404 (Not Found) response within CGI script (Apache)
11. Logging CGI response size (Apache 1.3.9)
12. apache 2.0 - number of httpd grows up + slow response
13. Apache/Solaris2.5.1 Slow Responses