htm vs. html/Netscape

Post by Gail Harles » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

One of my corporate client has a problem.  People visiting his site are
complaining because, when using Netscape, his site register.htm is only
bringing up the html.  His page register.html is working properly, however.

I have BSDI 2.1, which I believe provides Apache 0.8.

HELP!!  Has anyone else had this problem?  How do I make it go away???

Thanks,

Gail H
Land of Lakes Communications

htm vs. html/Netscape

Post by Jordyn A. Buchan » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: One of my corporate client has a problem.  People visiting his site are
: complaining because, when using Netscape, his site register.htm is only
: bringing up the html.  His page register.html is working properly, however.
:
: I have BSDI 2.1, which I believe provides Apache 0.8.

The problem is that Apache is not recognizing the extension .htm as HTML
so it isn't passing the proper MIME type (text/html) along to Netscape.
Without this MIME type, Netscape doesn't know what to do with the file so
it just dumps the raw data to the screen without bothering to interpret
the tags and make everything pretty.

Solving this is easy.  In your Apache configuration directory, you should
find a file called mime.types.  Look for a line like this:

    text/html                       html

And change it so it is like this:

    text/html                       html htm

While you're at it, think hard about upgrading to Apache 1.1.1.  If you're
really still at a < 1.0 version, there are many bugfixes and features that
you are missing out on.

Jordyn

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

| BestWeb Corporation                               +1 914 271 4500 |
| Senior System Administrator                                       |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

htm vs. html/Netscape

Post by WWW server manag » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>: One of my corporate client has a problem.  People visiting his site are
>: complaining because, when using Netscape, his site register.htm is only
>: bringing up the html.  His page register.html is working properly, however.
>:
>: I have BSDI 2.1, which I believe provides Apache 0.8.

>Solving this is easy.  In your Apache configuration directory, you should
>find a file called mime.types.  Look for a line like this:

>    text/html                       html

>And change it so it is like this:

>    text/html                       html htm

>While you're at it, think hard about upgrading to Apache 1.1.1.  If you're
>really still at a < 1.0 version, there are many bugfixes and features that
>you are missing out on.

From Apache 1.1 onward, mime.types defines .htm as text/html, as well as
.html, so upgrading and using the new mime.types (and merging any local
changes from the old version) should fix it anyway.

[Incidentally, I think the recommended approach is to leave mime.types alone
except for installing new versions supplied with Apache upgrades, and use
AddType in the configuration files - as shown in the sample config files -
for any local additions.]

                                John Line
--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)

htm vs. html/Netscape

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> [Incidentally, I think the recommended approach is to leave mime.types alone
> except for installing new versions supplied with Apache upgrades, and use
> AddType in the configuration files - as shown in the sample config files -
> for any local additions.]

Definitely.  I first came across this as good advice for the NCSA HTTPD.
One has to configure srm.conf anyhow, so that's a good place to
configure local content-types too.

Then new versions of mime.types can be brought in at any time, without
worrying whether they need local tailoring.  I'm confident that this
advice would be just as good for Apache.

htm vs. html/Netscape

Post by Jordyn A. Buchan » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: [Incidentally, I think the recommended approach is to leave mime.types alone
: except for installing new versions supplied with Apache upgrades, and use
: AddType in the configuration files - as shown in the sample config files -
: for any local additions.]

I'm sure there's some good reason for this being the recommended approach,
but I don't like it because the result is that you have to look in more
than one place to correlate extensions with MIME types.  I find it much
easier to keep everything in mime.types for consistency's sake.

Either way works.

Jordyn

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

| BestWeb Corporation                               +1 914 271 4500 |
| Senior System Administrator                                       |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

htm vs. html/Netscape

Post by Jay Goldbe » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>One of my corporate client has a problem.  People visiting his site are
>complaining because, when using Netscape, his site register.htm is only
>bringing up the html.  His page register.html is working properly, however.

>I have BSDI 2.1, which I believe provides Apache 0.8.

>HELP!!  Has anyone else had this problem?  How do I make it go away???

Make sure the mime.types file has html as well as htm in
type=text/html

Jay