Problem with Cern httpd 3.0 caching server on Linux 1.2.8

Problem with Cern httpd 3.0 caching server on Linux 1.2.8

Post by Asgeir Gunnar Stefanss » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'am running Cern httpd 3.0 as a proxy caching server on Linux 1.2.8. Most of the time it works great but once
in a while a zombie process beloning to the caching server grows to aprox. 30 mb which makes the Linux haywire.

I there anyone who knows why this is happening and how to fix it.

Post by Jon Hartfo » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I'am running Cern httpd 3.0 as a proxy caching server on Linux 1.2.8. Most
: of the time it works great but once in a while a zombie process beloning
: to the caching server grows to aprox. 30 mb which makes the Linux haywire.

: I there anyone who knows why this is happening and how to fix it.

I've experienced the exact same problem, and have not yet been able to fix
it.  I'm running kern version 1.2.7  I think that I'll attempt and upgrade
to 1.2.13 (latest stable, I think) and test it out again.  Any others out
there?

-Jon

Post by Jason Costomir » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

:
: : I'am running Cern httpd 3.0 as a proxy caching server on Linux 1.2.8. Most
: : of the time it works great but once in a while a zombie process beloning
: : to the caching server grows to aprox. 30 mb which makes the Linux haywire.
:
: : I there anyone who knows why this is happening and how to fix it.
:
: I've experienced the exact same problem, and have not yet been able to fix
: it.  I'm running kern version 1.2.7  I think that I'll attempt and upgrade
: to 1.2.13 (latest stable, I think) and test it out again.  Any others out
: there?

The folks from w3.org have stated (repeatedly) that there are problems running
CERN 3.0 on Linux as a proxy, particularly as a caching proxy.  The fix?
Wait for CERN 3.1.

--
Jason Costomiris                     | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key

My employers like me, but not enough | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
to let me speak for them.            |                  --Unknown

                        http://www.sjis.com/~jcostom

Post by Thomas Kriene » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I'am running Cern httpd 3.0 as a proxy caching server on Linux 1.2.8. Most of the time it works great but once
> in a while a zombie process beloning to the caching server grows to aprox. 30 mb which makes the Linux haywire.
> I there anyone who knows why this is happening and how to fix it.

This is no Linux-specific-Problem. I use the Cern as proxy on an
AIX-System an I have <defunct>-processes too. But they stay not for long
time.

Thomas Kriener

Post by Bruce Co » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

   : I'am running Cern httpd 3.0 as a proxy caching server on Linux 1.2.8. Most
   : of the time it works great but once in a while a zombie process beloning
   : to the caching server grows to aprox. 30 mb which makes the Linux haywire.

   : I there anyone who knows why this is happening and how to fix it.

   I've experienced the exact same problem, and have not yet been able to fix
   it.  I'm running kern version 1.2.7  I think that I'll attempt and upgrade
   to 1.2.13 (latest stable, I think) and test it out again.  Any others out
   there?

I've the same problem on linux 1.2.8, 1.3.49, and Sunos 4.1.4.

It seems to be the CERN server.  A while ago there was a discussion
about a fix for this bug.  It was supposed to be in the latest kit
at w3.org, but I still get zombies.

My intermediate solution (Until CERN httpd 3.1 happens) is to
install httpd as an inetd process, which means that every time
a request is satisfied, httpd exits, and therefore cleans up
all those sub-processes that become zombies.  I havn't noticed
a performance degredation from this.
(I think zombies occur when someone cancels a request)

There is documentation in the httpd web pages about installing
httpd under inetd.

I've been contemplating fixing the code, but don't seem to be able
to get the time (sigh).

--
.BRU

Bruce Cook
84 kintail Rd, Applecross       AUSstep Consultants
6153, W.A. Australia            3 Ord St West Perth,

--
.BRU

Bruce Cook
84 kintail Rd, Applecross       AUSstep Consultants

1. Problem with Cern httpd 3.0 caching server on Linux 1.2.8

I am running Cern httpd 3.0 as a proxy caching server on Linux 1.2.8. Most of the time it works great but once
in a while a zombie process beloning to the caching server grows to aprox. 30 mb which makes the Linux go
haywire.

I there anyone who knows why this is happening and how to fix it.

sgeir Stefnsson.

2. Can not login Solaris 10 with root via PuTTY.

3. CERN ftp server can't open PASV for CERN httpd 3.0

4. Can't get TV card working

5. Caching Cern httpd 3.0 does not forward POST messages

6. Disable ^S for curses ...

7. NEW: Cache patch for CERN httpd 3.0

8. SMC 9432tx buggy?

9. cern httpd 3.0 , caching ?!

10. cern-httpd 3.0-6 proxy server post problem

11. cern-httpd - proxy-cache - httpd.conf WANTED ???!!!

12. CERN HTTPD 3.0 or NCSA HTTPD 1.3?

13. Which server - CERN 3.0 or NCSA httpd v1.4.2?