.htaccess problem allowing per domain

Post by Rod B. Nussbaum » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to use a .htaccess file to allow access to only our
local domain,and am having a problem.  Following is a copy of the file.

<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from .triumf.ca
# allow from rodpc
allow from localhost
</Limit>

The problem is that the .triumf.ca (local) domain does not get accepted.
If I specify specific nodes in the local domain, they are allowed access.
All others are denied with the 403 error.  In the log file, I see the
denial message for each attempt. The interesting thing is that there are
machines from off of our local domain that appear in the log file with full
domain names, or domains in numeric format, and these are granted access
(although to other places in the file system, owned by other users).
My theory is that somewhere in the system, the default domainname is not
being applied to the incoming request, and the requestor is therefore denied
access on the basis of not being in the required domain.  This may not be
strictly a httpd problem, I realize, but I'm at wits end to solve the
problem.

This is SunOS 4.1.4, running the NCSA httpd ver 1.3.
There exists a file /etc/defaultdomain, with the triumf.ca domain name
listed in it, and if I run domainname, it reports triumf.ca, as expected.
An identical .htaccess file on a Linux machine works as expected.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--  rod.

 TRIUMF --- University of British Columbia,     Phone: (604)222-7449
 Vancouver, BC, Canada.                           FAX: (604)222-7307

.htaccess problem allowing per domain

Post by I7 » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to use a .htaccess file to allow access to only our
>local domain,and am having a problem.  Following is a copy of the file.

><Limit GET>
>order deny,allow
>deny from all
>allow from .triumf.ca
># allow from rodpc
>allow from localhost
></Limit>

>The problem is that the .triumf.ca (local) domain does not get accepted.
>If I specify specific nodes in the local domain, they are allowed access.
>All others are denied with the 403 error.  In the log file, I see the
>denial message for each attempt. The interesting thing is that there are
>machines from off of our local domain that appear in the log file with full
>domain names, or domains in numeric format, and these are granted access
>(although to other places in the file system, owned by other users).

Hi!

We have the same problem over here. So if you receive any hints please
forward them to me.

Cheers
 Wolfram

--
begin 644 .signature

end

.htaccess problem allowing per domain

Post by I7 » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to use a .htaccess file to allow access to only our
>local domain,and am having a problem.  Following is a copy of the file.

><Limit GET>
>order deny,allow
>deny from all
>allow from .triumf.ca
># allow from rodpc
>allow from localhost
></Limit>

>The problem is that the .triumf.ca (local) domain does not get accepted.
>If I specify specific nodes in the local domain, they are allowed access.
>All others are denied with the 403 error.  In the log file, I see the
>denial message for each attempt. The interesting thing is that there are
>machines from off of our local domain that appear in the log file with full
>domain names, or domains in numeric format, and these are granted access
>(although to other places in the file system, owned by other users).

Hi!

We have the same problem over here. So if you receive any hints please
forward them to me.

Cheers
 Wolfram

--
begin 644 .signature

end

.htaccess problem allowing per domain

Post by I7 » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to use a .htaccess file to allow access to only our
>local domain,and am having a problem.  Following is a copy of the file.

><Limit GET>
>order deny,allow
>deny from all
>allow from .triumf.ca
># allow from rodpc
>allow from localhost
></Limit>

>The problem is that the .triumf.ca (local) domain does not get accepted.
>If I specify specific nodes in the local domain, they are allowed access.
>All others are denied with the 403 error.  In the log file, I see the
>denial message for each attempt. The interesting thing is that there are
>machines from off of our local domain that appear in the log file with full
>domain names, or domains in numeric format, and these are granted access
>(although to other places in the file system, owned by other users).
>My theory is that somewhere in the system, the default domainname is not
>being applied to the incoming request, and the requestor is therefore denied
>access on the basis of not being in the required domain.  This may not be
>strictly a httpd problem, I realize, but I'm at wits end to solve the
>problem.

We have the same promplem over here. Don't know what it could be...

Any hints??

Cheers
 Wolfram

--
begin 644 .signature

end

Post by Rod B. Nussbaum » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>I am trying to use a .htaccess file to allow access to only our
>>local domain,and am having a problem.  Following is a copy of the file.
>We have the same promplem over here. Don't know what it could be...
>Any hints??
>Cheers
> Wolfram

Yes, your news reader seems to be broken, too.

Yes, your news reader seems to be broken, too.

Yes, your news reader seems to be broken, too.

Yes, your news reader seems to be broken, too.

        ---   Rod.

Post by Reece Ha » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to use a .htaccess file to allow access to only our
>local domain,and am having a problem.

Quote:>We have the same promplem over here. Don't know what it could be...
>Any hints??

I had the same problem and fixed it by changing the ownership and
permissions of the .htaccess.  Here's what I'm currently using:

<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from .wustl.edu
</Limit>

-rw-r--r--    1 root     sys           74 Jun  7 20:38 .htaccess

--

Biophysics & Biochemistry, Box 8231 | WWW:   http://dasher.wustl.edu/~reece/
Washington Univ. School of Medicine | Phone: (314) 362-4198 (lab)