Accessing name-based virtual server pages on the LAN

Accessing name-based virtual server pages on the LAN

Post by Dan Ma » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:54:31

OK, this isn't really a config question.  Go easy, I'm new here!

I have a couple of name-based virtual servers set up, Apache 2.0 on
Red Hat 8.0.  The Linux machine sits behind a DSL router, along with
a WinXP machine.  I've got dynamic ip set up.  Everything works great
from the internet; someone looking for www.foo.com gets sent to my
IP address, the router forwards port 80 requests to my Linux box,
Apache sees the name and gets the correct page.

Question is, if I'm sitting at my WinXP box, how can I get www.foo.com?
Right now, if I try to do so, I get the login page for my DSL router
administration, since the request is coming from the LAN.  What's
the easiest way to make this work right?

Thanks,

-dan

Accessing name-based virtual server pages on the LAN

Post by Jimm » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:21:44

Quote:> OK, this isn't really a config question.  Go easy, I'm new here!

> I have a couple of name-based virtual servers set up, Apache 2.0 on
> Red Hat 8.0.  The Linux machine sits behind a DSL router, along with
> a WinXP machine.  I've got dynamic ip set up.  Everything works great
> from the internet; someone looking for www.foo.com gets sent to my
> IP address, the router forwards port 80 requests to my Linux box,
> Apache sees the name and gets the correct page.

> Question is, if I'm sitting at my WinXP box, how can I get www.foo.com?
> Right now, if I try to do so, I get the login page for my DSL router
> administration, since the request is coming from the LAN.  What's
> the easiest way to make this work right?

There are several solutions:

1 - Edit /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and add the following:
192.168.1.33    www.domain.com domain.com
Substitute for your parameters

2 - Enable proxy-server in Internet Explorer

3 - Use local IP in browser along with tilde username (If enabled in
httpd.conf), e.g. 192.168.1.33/~USERNAME

4 - Set up your own DNS-server locally

Number1 is the preferred method as both IE and your FTP-client will be
redirected correctly.

Regards,
Jimmy

Post by Davorin Vlahovi » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:44:42

> OK, this isn't really a config question.  Go easy, I'm new here!

N.P.

In WinXP, set the out-of-your-LAN DNS. Your ISP has some DNS, so hook it
up on it, not the LAN DNS.

--
;)

Post by Mark Taylo » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:51:44

Quote:> OK, this isn't really a config question.  Go easy, I'm new here!

> I have a couple of name-based virtual servers set up, Apache 2.0 on
> Red Hat 8.0.  The Linux machine sits behind a DSL router, along with
> a WinXP machine.  I've got dynamic ip set up.  Everything works great
> from the internet; someone looking for www.foo.com gets sent to my
> IP address, the router forwards port 80 requests to my Linux box,
> Apache sees the name and gets the correct page.

> Question is, if I'm sitting at my WinXP box, how can I get www.foo.com?
> Right now, if I try to do so, I get the login page for my DSL router
> administration, since the request is coming from the LAN.  What's
> the easiest way to make this work right?

> Thanks,

> -dan

Easiest?  Put the IP of the Red Hat machine in the hosts file of the XP
machine. See the hosts.sam file in (I think)
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Cheers,
Mark

1. Name Based Virtual Hosting - Unable to access Virtual domain from IE/Lynx

Hi,

I've been trying to setup multipul virtual host names for one IP on RH
7.

For some reason the virtual host i have created doesn't seem to work.
When I use the DIG function to get some more info about the domain a
message comes back saying 'connection timed out' 127.0.0.1

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my DNS settings.  I have
two computers, one being the linux machine, and the other running
windows.  The windows computer uses the linux terminal as a DNS server
which appears to work okay.  I can type in the domain of the linux
machine and be forwarded successfully to the test page.

I have one network card installed in the Linux system, identified as
eth0 using IP 192.168.0.2.

The hosts file containes the following (Linux terminal):

127.0.0.1    bart.simpson.com   localhost
192.168.0.2  localhost    simpson.com

The named.conf has entries for the 0.0.127.inaddr-arpa and
0.168.192.inaddr-arpa and simpsons.com zone (system domain).  Using
nslookup on things such as bart.simpson.com and localhost and
192.168.0.2 resolve correctly.

The feedback i get from httpd -S is that the default server is
192.168.0.2:80 journey.com (this is a virtual host entry in the
httpd.conf).

However i can't ping, nslookup or dig the virtual domain journey.com,
i simply get 'connection timed out' using dig or non-existent
host/domain using nslookup.  Neither of the systems are connected to
the internet, they are simply being used for testing purposes.  The
end result being that the linux terminal will be a DNS and caching
name server for the LAN.

Any suggestions on what i have configured wrong/forgotten to do.  I'm
very new to linux. so i'm not sure which files need editing, or what
entries should be made into what files etc.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

2. IntelliMouse problem with XFree86

3. Name-based vs IP based virtual hosts

4. Filling Passwd

5. Mixing IP-based and name-based virtual hosts?

6. T3 and standby drives

7. Can IP-based and Name-Based Virtual Hosting coexist

8. IBM tutorial: Using Samba as a primary domain controller

9. Setting up IP-based and Name-based virtual hosting side by side...

10. Help: setup name-based or port-based virtual web host.

11. Name-based Virtual Servers just aren't working...

12. Apache- Name Based Virtual Hosts and Front Page Extensions

13. Apache Displaying Test Page On named based Virtual Hosts