NCSA 1.3 "User" and "Group" fields being ignored ... help ?

NCSA 1.3 "User" and "Group" fields being ignored ... help ?

Post by Alexis Huxl » Sat, 10 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Using NCSA httpd 1.3 in "inetd" mode I get the following returned by the
"id" command in a CGI script when User and Group in httpd.conf are set to
"www" and "www":

    uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

If I do:

    chown www:www httpd
    chmod 6755 httpd

then I get:

    uid=0(root) gid=0(root) euid=1000(www) egid=1000(www)

which I guess is to be expected. But when run in "standalone" mode then
the requested User and Group are honoured:

    uid=1000(www) gid=1000(www)

I don't want to use standalone mode because I'm using a low memory machine
which is very infrequently accessed, so I cannot afford the resident program
(ok it eventually gets swapped out), but I can afford to have the config
files read at every reqest. The setuid stuff is a bodge. Why isn't the id
correct when run from inetd ?

Any help much appreciated. Summary of answers posted if I get asked.

Alexis
--
How I have felt that thing that's called 'to part', |       Alexis Huxley

cruel something by which what was joined so well    |      +44 1689 870 344
is once more shown, held out, and torn apart.       |   R M Rilke  (1875-1926)

Post by Kevin Stev » Sun, 11 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Using NCSA httpd 1.3 in "inetd" mode I get the following returned by the
>"id" command in a CGI script when User and Group in httpd.conf are set to
>"www" and "www":

>    uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

User and Group only apply when ServerType is standalone.  See
<URL:http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/setup/httpd/User.html>.

For ServerType inetd, the UID and GID depend on your inetd
configuration.