What's wrong with my httpd.conf? (Linux 2.1.9)

What's wrong with my httpd.conf? (Linux 2.1.9)

Post by Judith Lew » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I've compiled apache just fine. I've installed apache just fine. But when I
try to start apache, I get the following:

Syntax error on line 4 of /usr/local/apache/etc/httpd.conf:
Invalid command ' ', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration
/usr/local/apache/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

That's a blank line it's complaining about.

Now, if I edit said httpd.conf file -- say, edit out all the blank
lines,  which seem to be regarded as "Invalid commands," it still finds
an error on every single line, in every single command. What am I missing
here? It's gotta be an easy answer, but I have no clue what it is. I've
looked everywhere.

I'm running Linux 2.1.9 on a 486.

Thanks.

Judith Lewis

--

What's wrong with my httpd.conf? (Linux 2.1.9)

Post by Marc Slemk » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I've compiled apache just fine. I've installed apache just fine. But when I
>try to start apache, I get the following:
>Syntax error on line 4 of /usr/local/apache/etc/httpd.conf:
>Invalid command ' ', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
>included in the server configuration
>/usr/local/apache/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>That's a blank line it's complaining about.

Are you sure it is blank and doesn't just look blank?

What are you using to edit the files?  You haven't copied them
over from a Windows or Mac box or something like that have you?

What does the first dozen or two lines of "cat -vet httpd.conf"
give?

What version of Apache are you using?  Did you install it yourself
from the base source or did you use some distributions (possibly
broken) package?

What's wrong with my httpd.conf? (Linux 2.1.9)

Post by Judith Lew » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for your reply. cat httpd.conf looks like:

##
## httpd.conf -- Apache HTTP server configuration file
##

# This is the main server configuration file. See URL http://www.apache.org/
# for instructions.

# Do NOT simply read the instructions in here without understanding
# what they do, if you are unsure consult the online docs. You have been
# warned.

# Originally by Rob McCool

# Shared Object Module Loading:
# To be able to use the functionality of a module which was built
# as a shared object you have to place corresponding `LoadModule'
# lines at this location so the directives contained in it are
# actually available _before_ they are used.
# Example:
# LoadModule foo_module libexec/mod_foo.so

# ServerType is either inetd, or standalone.

ServerType standalone

It finds the first error on line 4. (The first blank, truly blank, even
in vi blank line.

I avoid Windows, and my Linux & Mac boxes never interact.

I'm running Apache/1.3b6, configured (using apaci) and made from the
source. Downloaded from the www.apache.org website. (I think?) Is it
possible it's broken and yet would compile & all? Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll try
an earlier version.

: Are you sure it is blank and doesn't just look blank?

: What are you using to edit the files?  You haven't copied them
: over from a Windows or Mac box or something like that have you?

: What does the first dozen or two lines of "cat -vet httpd.conf"
: give?

: What version of Apache are you using?  Did you install it yourself
: from the base source or did you use some distributions (possibly
: broken) package?
--

What's wrong with my httpd.conf? (Linux 2.1.9)

Post by sfrase » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

< bunch of httpd.conf stuff snipped>

Quote:>It finds the first error on line 4. (The first blank, truly blank, even
>in vi blank line.

>I avoid Windows, and my Linux & Mac boxes never interact.

Good on the Winbloze, but you Mac and Linux box should have no
troubles....
Quote:

>I'm running Apache/1.3b6, configured (using apaci) and made from the
>source. Downloaded from the www.apache.org website. (I think?) Is it
>possible it's broken and yet would compile & all? Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll try
>an earlier version.

I may have missed it, but what version/dist of Linux are you running?
As another thought, have you considered running Apache 1.2.6? It's
rock solid, and I have had no troubles with it under
Linux/BSDi/Solaris....
 I did have some troubles with 1.3b6, so switched back to 1.2.5, then
upgraded to 1.2.6

Let me know what you think.....

Cheers mate,

Scott Fraser

http://www.uwi.com/

1. Test httpd.conf setup - using variables in httpd.conf

I'm often testing Apache httpd.conf setups using a parallel
DocumentRoots.  I'd like to be able to use variables in httpd.conf file,
such that:

   $dir = 'test_dir';

   DocumentRoot /usr/local/web/$dir
   <Directory /urs/local/web/$dir/some_dir>

And when ready to use on live data just change:

   $dir = 'live_data';

or some such thing.

Any tricks for doing this?

--

pls note the one line sig, not counting this one.

2. HPUX & SunOS

3. redhat-config-httpd doesn't write to httpd.conf

4. Kernel 2.2: insmod seems to stop working

5. Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

6. Question on building ports

7. NCSA httpd/Linux 2.0.x and 'httpd:cant resolve symbol recvmsg'

8. OT: GraphViz -- license concerns

9. Get 'Forbidden' With Correct <Directory ...> Directive In httpd.conf

10. CERN 'Protection' in httpd.conf: question

11. how to determine httpd.conf and httpd daemon for my webserver?

12. cern-httpd - proxy-cache - httpd.conf WANTED ???!!!

13. translator from CERN httpd configuration rules to Apache httpd conf?