Apache Default IP(s)

Post by Hugh Ferguso » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi there,
 We're running Apache 1.1.1 (I know, upgrade :) on a Sparc 20 with
Solaris 2.3.  I don't know if this is a) a bug, b) a mis-configuration
or c) just the way Apache works as I'm not that familiar with apache.

We have Apache set up to serve one main, and 2 virtual domains. The
problem is that we have a fourth irtual IP which we want served by
another service altogether. Now the question is how do you get Apache to
*not* respond to requests made to this fourth IP address? Does the
default server respond to every IP address on the machine that isn't
defined as a virtual host?  I've tried using the BindAddress option, but
this made the server not respond to any address. I also tried the Listen
to no avail.

If however, it turns out that the BindAddress directive is the correct
directive to use to keep the default server from responding to other
requests, I'll try playing with it, but I just want to be sure that I'm
going in the right direction.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
-Hugh Feguson, Open Text
Toronto, Ont

Apache Default IP(s)

Post by Marc Slemk » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi there,
> We're running Apache 1.1.1 (I know, upgrade :) on a Sparc 20 with
>Solaris 2.3.  I don't know if this is a) a bug, b) a mis-configuration
>or c) just the way Apache works as I'm not that familiar with apache.
>We have Apache set up to serve one main, and 2 virtual domains. The
>problem is that we have a fourth irtual IP which we want served by
>another service altogether. Now the question is how do you get Apache to
>*not* respond to requests made to this fourth IP address? Does the
>default server respond to every IP address on the machine that isn't
>defined as a virtual host?  I've tried using the BindAddress option, but
>this made the server not respond to any address. I also tried the Listen
>to no avail.

Listen IP1:port
Listen IP2:port
Listen IP3:port

BindAddress only works for a _single_ address.  You would need to
provide more details about exactly what you are tryingto do with
Listen before anyone could comment on why it is failing.

And yes, you should upgrade.

I'm not sure what you mean by "another service", but if by that you
mean some other server running on another port, then consider if
you really need to stop Apache listening on that IP at all.  There
is more overhead to using a Listen directive for each IP; doesn't
matter much for 3, but if you get into hundreds it will.

Apache Default IP(s)

Post by Christian Kratze » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

> We have Apache set up to serve one main, and 2 virtual domains. The
> problem is that we have a fourth irtual IP which we want served by
> another service altogether. Now the question is how do you get Apache to
> *not* respond to requests made to this fourth IP address? Does the
> default server respond to every IP address on the machine that isn't
> defined as a virtual host?  I've tried using the BindAddress option, but
> this made the server not respond to any address. I also tried the Listen
> to no avail.

you could use Listen to make apache only listen to specific address:port
combinations though I would not recomment this.  We used listen when we
ran a couple of cerns and an apache server on the same machine.

Maintaining the long list of Listen directives was a major hastle and
also the apache server had a tendency to hand now and then. This
disappered
when we stopped using listen's.

If you would like to run a different web server on the same machine on
port: 80
I would recommend you rethink your options and run a dedicated apache
machine
and the other services on another machine.

Greetings
Christian

--

Christian Kratzer                               http://www.toplink.net/