Apache/Stronghold and Solaris 2.6 [Sparc]

Apache/Stronghold and Solaris 2.6 [Sparc]

Post by Andrew Gide » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

We're upgrading the hardware on one of our SPARC-based
servers, and I'm considering making the jump from 2.5.1
to 2.6 Solaris.  I'm eager to hear any experiences from
people that are using 2.6 for web service, most especially
with either Apache or Stronghold.

I seem to recall hearing a couple of Bad Things, but (1) I'm
not sure, and (2) they may be fixed anyway.

Experiences for and against welcome.

Thanks...

        Andrew

Post by Ed Kubaiti » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> We're upgrading the hardware on one of our SPARC-based
> servers, and I'm considering making the jump from 2.5.1
> to 2.6 Solaris.  I'm eager to hear any experiences from
> people that are using 2.6 for web service, most especially
> with either Apache or Stronghold.

> I seem to recall hearing a couple of Bad Things, but (1) I'm
> not sure, and (2) they may be fixed anyway.

> Experiences for and against welcome.

> Thanks...

>         Andrew

I manage four Stronghold 2.2 and one Apache 1.2.5 servers
that have been running on Solaris 2.6 for months. All
have been problem free.

--------------------------

CCSO - University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign

Apache/Stronghold and Solaris 2.6 [Sparc]

Post by Jeff Donahu » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Yes me too, Solaris 2.6 , Apache 1.2.6, Stronghold, and Frontpage 98 no
problems...

Jeff

> > We're upgrading the hardware on one of our SPARC-based
> > servers, and I'm considering making the jump from 2.5.1
> > to 2.6 Solaris.  I'm eager to hear any experiences from
> > people that are using 2.6 for web service, most especially
> > with either Apache or Stronghold.

> > I seem to recall hearing a couple of Bad Things, but (1) I'm
> > not sure, and (2) they may be fixed anyway.

> > Experiences for and against welcome.

> > Thanks...

> >         Andrew

> I manage four Stronghold 2.2 and one Apache 1.2.5 servers
> that have been running on Solaris 2.6 for months. All
> have been problem free.

> --------------------------

> CCSO - University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign

Jeff
Shore.Net Web Support / Domain Registrar

Jeff Donahue                    http://www.shore.net/~jwd
    ...todays fantasy may become tomorrows reality...

Apache/Stronghold and Solaris 2.6 [Sparc]

Post by Greg » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just installed Stronghold on one of the Sparcs and found an interesting
thing. its not a bug per-se, but if one is not familiar with all of the
directives, it can easily slip by. Basically when Stronghold installs, it
will setup port 80, port 443, and port 444 (defaults unless otherwised
specified). If you look at port 443's directives, you will see that there is
a UserDir directive for pub_html there by default. What this means is that a
user could go to https://www.dom.ain/~user and voila! they now get their
site encrypted! You can turn this off by setting UserDir under port 443 to a
blank line.

Again, this is not a bug or a hack or anything like that, but something that
you probably do not want on the server. I also posted this to Strongholds
mailing-list awhile back, so they are aware.

Besides that, everything with C2.net has been great and so has their
software (same goes for Apache).

***This is not a Stronghold bug or problem in anyway, but you may want to be
aware of it also***

Thawtes root certs for 3.x browser dies this year so any of your customers
using 3.x browsers can go to
http://www.thawte.com/certs/server/rollover.html to find out how to update
their browsers (note that this is if you used the bundled Thawte cert with
Stronghold). I think Versigns bites it next year.

-Greg

Post by Rahul Dhe » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>If you look at port 443's directives, you will see that there is
>a UserDir directive for pub_html there by default. What this means is that a
>user could go to https://www.dom.ain/~user and voila! they now get their
>site encrypted! You can turn this off by setting UserDir under port 443 to a
>blank line.
>Again, this is not a bug or a hack or anything like that, but something that
>you probably do not want on the server.

Explanation, please.  Why not?
--

Apache/Stronghold and Solaris 2.6 [Sparc]

Post by Greg » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>>If you look at port 443's directives, you will see that there is
>>a UserDir directive for pub_html there by default. What this means is that
>>user could go to https://www.dom.ain/~user and voila! they now get their
>>site encrypted! You can turn this off by setting UserDir under port 443 to
>>blank line.

>>Again, this is not a bug or a hack or anything like that, but something
that
>>you probably do not want on the server.

>Explanation, please.  Why not?

Well allowing anyone on the server to be able to use port 443 to send
encrypted data is not a good idea by default IMHO. I would want some kind of
control over what users can access that kind of service.

For example, the server handles virtual host accounts for SSL encryption and
non ssl-based virtual hosts. It would be easy for a non ssl-based virtual
hosting customer to be able to gain that ability by accessing it via
http://www.servername.dom/~their-username:443 if that ability was left on.

Of course this is all based on the assumption that you want to be able to
track which customers use SSL on the server and not use a "blanket policy"
for everyone on it.

-Greg

>--

Apache/Stronghold and Solaris 2.6 [Sparc]

Post by Rahul Dhe » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Well allowing anyone on the server to be able to use port 443 to send
>encrypted data is not a good idea by default IMHO. I would want some
>kind of control over what users can access that kind of service.

Again, why?

Quote:>For example, the server handles virtual host accounts for SSL
>encryption and non ssl-based virtual hosts. It would be easy for a non
>ssl-based virtual hosting customer to be able to gain that ability by
>accessing it via http://www.servername.dom/~their-username:443 if that
>ability was left on.

Again, why?

Quote:>Of course this is all based on the assumption that you want to be able
>to track which customers use SSL on the server and not use a "blanket
>policy" for everyone on it.

Again, why?

Equally valid might be the assumption that indiscriminate use of
unencreypted http should not be permitted.
--

1. Apache Shared Modules on Sun Sparc Solaris 2.6

I'm trying to get Apache 2.1.12 running on SunSparc Solaris 2.6.

I configured it up fine, but when I run it, I get:

# ./httpd.new -f /apps/conf/httpd.conf
Syntax error on line 207 of /apps/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /apps/libexec/mod_vhost_alias.so into server:
ld.so.1: ./httpd.new:
fatal: relocation error: file /apps/libexec/mod_vhost_alias.so:
symbol ap_table_
setn: referenced symbol not found

Any ideas,

Thanks,

GTG

2. tcpd wrapper

3. where to find WU-FTPD 2.6 for sparc-solaris 2.6 (binary)?

4. How to determine size of memory block allocated by malloc() ?

5. Building Stronghold 1.3.4 on Solaris 2.6

6. testfromelmira

7. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

8. error on startup RH6.1

9. NFS mount between Solaris 2.6 (sparc 5) and Solaris 2.5.1 (Intel)

10. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

11. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

12. Openoffice 1.0 port for Sparc Solaris 2.6

13. Solaris 2.6 (Sparc) - booting and default route problem