Netscape-Server CGI variable REMOTE_USER isn't being passed

Netscape-Server CGI variable REMOTE_USER isn't being passed

Post by p » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

This is in reference to a problem using the UNIX version of the Netscape
Enterprise Server.

Normally, when one uses .htaccess to set restrictions on http access,
there is a variable called "REMOTE_USER" which is passed so that the
server, and any cgi scripts, can know who the requests are coming from.

I seem to be getting a variation on this: the server doesn't have to
prompt for password information more than once, which means it can
recognize the browser session, but the variable REMOTE_USER, nor any sort
of session-unique variable is being passed so that a cgi script can use
that information.

Can anyone help?

Post by Harold Sasa » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

=> This is in reference to a problem using the UNIX version of the Netscape
=> Enterprise Server.

=> Normally, when one uses .htaccess to set restrictions on http access,
=> there is a variable called "REMOTE_USER" which is passed so that the
=> server, and any cgi scripts, can know who the requests are coming from.

=> I seem to be getting a variation on this: the server doesn't have to
=> prompt for password information more than once, which means it can
=> recognize the browser session, but the variable REMOTE_USER, nor any sort
=> of session-unique variable is being passed so that a cgi script can use
=> that information.

=> Can anyone help?

Is your CGI script in the same directory as the HTML documents?  If it's
in a different directory, then your authentication won't work there unless
it's a subdirectory of the HTML document directory.

--
-----
Name:  Harold Sasaki

Web:   http://www.harold.com/

Netscape-Server CGI variable REMOTE_USER isn't being passed

Post by p » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Is your CGI script in the same directory as the HTML documents?  If it's
> in a different directory, then your authentication won't work there unless
> it's a subdirectory of the HTML document directory.

No it isn't...could I just put a link to my cgi directory in my html
documents directory? Hmmm...this is very interesting. I'll look into it
thank you.

1. Hey server gurus... passing environment variables to CGI programs?

Hi, I'm running the following config:
    Server = NCSA 1.4.2
    System = IBM RS/6000 J30
    Op/sys = AIX 4.1.4.0

I start my httpd server from a shell script called /etc/rc.httpd.development
as follows:
#!/bin/ksh
#
# rc.httpd.development
#
# 9/29/95  --  kd
#
. /olqdev/.olq_ctl
echo "[ OLQ Development environment set. ]"
echo "[ Starting the NCSA httpd Server Daemon. ]"
echo "  [ Executing /usr/local/ncsa/httpd -d /usr/local/ncsa ]"
/usr/local/ncsa/httpd -d /usr/local/ncsa
echo "  <Complete>"
echo ""

As you can see I am running a script called /olqdev/.olq_ctl which set a
whole bunch of environment variables.  I'm sure that these environment
variables are getting passed on to the httpd server, even though he can care
less and does nothing with them.  I made the *assumption* that because the
httpd server spawns all CGI programs that the CGI programs would inherit
the environment from the httpd server, but this does not seem to be the
case.  So question:

    Is there a way to force the httpd server to pass its environment
    variables on to a called CGI program?

The deal is... I'm trying to run a development, beta, and production
environment (which is working quite well for the C code development) and
get the httpd server to participate.  So the brilliant idea came up to
run three separate servers each on their own sockets, with only the
production server listening on socket 80.  In this way, the startup
scripts for each of the servers could pass their needed environment
variables on to the appropriate CGI programs.

Help!!!

--Keith
--
Keith Devlin                "It's too bad I don't smoke any more..."

2. Video and GNOME resolutions differ

3. Apache/CGI: $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} and POST

4. chroot / execvp probs under RedHat 5.1

5. HELP!--Netscape Server CGI Environment Variables...

6. New BSD User - Laptop questions

7. Can't get REMOTE_USER environment variable

8. getopts shift

9. Apache 065 doesn't gice CGI scripts REMOTE_USER

10. Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server

11. Passing variables to a CGI script in SSI

12. ?:pass new ENV variables to CGI scripts

13. Passing non-standard environment variables to CGI scripts