Apache with mod_ssl - RSA licensing and the like

Apache with mod_ssl - RSA licensing and the like

Post by Beth Ann and John Petraki » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I investigated the Apache - mod-ssl combination a few months ago and
found it to be a decent way to go.  I know that for non-commercial
purposes in the US, there is basically no charge.  I was wondering if
anybody out there knows or went through the trouble of using
Apache/mod-ssl for a commercial system and if so, what hoops did RSA
make you go through?

J. P. Petrakis

Post by Phil Howa » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

| I investigated the Apache - mod-ssl combination a few months ago and
| found it to be a decent way to go.  I know that for non-commercial
| purposes in the US, there is basically no charge.  I was wondering if
| anybody out there knows or went through the trouble of using
| Apache/mod-ssl for a commercial system and if so, what hoops did RSA
| make you go through?

If you are running Linux, you could get Red Hat Secure Server for almost
cheap and have the licensing taken care of for one machine.  Maybe there
os also some incremental plan for additional machines.

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN

Apache with mod_ssl - RSA licensing and the like

Post by Alan Me » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 27 May 1999 22:33:32 -0400, Beth Ann and John Petrakis

>Hi,

>I investigated the Apache - mod-ssl combination a few months ago and
>found it to be a decent way to go.  I know that for non-commercial
>purposes in the US, there is basically no charge.  I was wondering if
>anybody out there knows or went through the trouble of using
>Apache/mod-ssl for a commercial system and if so, what hoops did RSA
>make you go through?

>J. P. Petrakis

AFAIK, US commercial users negotitate with RSA for a license for
commercial use.  The problem is getting them to talk to you if you are
a small shop.  So I would look for a commercial product which has this
license already.  I'm using Red Hat Secure Server (i.e., precomplied
Apache+mod_ssl with a $US25 Thawte discount and an RSA license) and it
was only $US99.  It requires RH 5.2 Linux.

-Alan

1. ?Licensing issues? RSA/SSLeay internals

To use an RSAREF-based product for personal, noncommercial use, no
additional licensing is required; the free noncommercial use license
applies. To sell a RSAREF-based product, a license is required; this
license is available from Consensus Development. Contact

Best,
 - Tim

--

Hastening the heat-death of the universe since 1968.

2. NIS-passwd

3. RSA Licensing with SSLeay?

4. Bad blocks. e2fsck does not mark them!

5. Stronghold, Apache mod_ssl, Apache-SSL - what's the difference?

6. Proxy ARP

7. Apache Proxying and the likes.....

8. GNU cpio 2.4.2 released

9. Impact of RSA security patent expiration on Apache

10. RSA patent expired: Is Apache + SSL legal in the US?

11. Apache+SSLLeay giving "missing tmp rsa key"

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. mod_ssl + jserv on Apache Solaris problem