help with making www default web dir without 403 error

help with making www default web dir without 403 error

Post by endsvi.. » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I was hoping someone could provide some help here... We are trying to
get apache running on a linux machine and provide a web directory to
all the users, by making a www directory under all of the user
directories (ie /home/mypage/www ) ... but the problem is is that no
matter what we do, we get a 403:Forbidden error message... I can't
figure it out.  Here are a few things:

access.conf

## access.conf -- Apache HTTP server configuration file
##
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# permissions.

<Directory />
Options None
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.

<Directory /home/httpd/html>

Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride All

order allow,deny
allow from all

</Directory>

<Directory /home/*/www>
Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.

<Directory /home/httpd/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride All
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

<Directory /home/*/www/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride All
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

httpd.conf

ServerType standalone

# ServerRoot: The directory the server's config,

ServerRoot /etc/httpd

# User/Group: The name (or #number) of the
User nobody
Group nobody

srm.conf

## srm.conf -- Apache HTTP server configuration file
#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.

DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html

# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's
home
# directory if a ~user request is recieved.

UserDir www
UserDir /home/*/www

# DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
# directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.shtml index.cgi

# Aliases: Add here as many aliases as you need (with no limit). The
format is
# Alias fakename realname

Alias www /home/*/www
----
I've removed some of the non related stuff to make the message
smaller... I've tried changing the permissions, the owner of www, the
paths in both the srm.conf and access.conf but nothing seems to work...
Anyone know what I'm overlooking here?

Thanks,

Kris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

help with making www default web dir without 403 error

Post by Forrest Taylo » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Did you already make sure that the user and www directories are all chmod
755?

Post by Klaus Johannes Rusc » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I was hoping someone could provide some help here... We are trying to
> get apache running on a linux machine and provide a web directory to
> all the users, by making a www directory under all of the user
> directories (ie /home/mypage/www ) ... but the problem is is that no
> matter what we do, we get a 403:Forbidden error message... I can't
> figure it out.  Here are a few things:

Check the error log for details on why you get a 403, might be directory
permissions (755), file permissions on the homepage file or .htaccess
(644), or not allowing directory browsing and lacking a homepage file.

Klaus Johannes Rusch
--

http://www.atmedia.net/KlausRusch/

help with making www default web dir without 403 error

Post by endsvi.. » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Did you already make sure that the user and www directories are all
chmod
> 755?

After spending an hour or so going over posts here, I ran across
something that I couldn't find in the docs... Just what you (and a few
others now) pointed out...  I needed to have the USER directories
775... I knew the www directory, but never though of the user directory
not having permissions... so after changing them, it worked great!

Thanks all!

Kris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. help making www the default user web dir

[...]

2. Xfree86 on KyroII ?

3. 403 Error on the Apache web server on a solaris box during busy hours.

4. Network device in 'Book PC'

5. apache user dirs 403 forbidden w/redhat 5.0

6. 2.5.48-bk, md raid0 fix

7. 403-Permission to read dir.

8. Unexpected Reboot

9. HELP! Error 403 problem withNCSA 1.4

10. error 403 on my access script! HELP!!

11. help with error 403 no permission

12. Please help! 403 Forbidden error