Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Post by Daniel Rubi » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00



Hello,

What web servers out there support advanced document control?
By "advanced document control" I mean the following:

1. Users can go to a web page that shows icons representing
   files stored on the web server.  These files can be anything.
   The user can click on the icon to check out a file.  The
   file is downloaded to the host running the browser and the
   cooresponding application is spawned so they can edit, view
   etc... the file.  (This part is easy...)

2. After editing the file they can "save" it to the web server
   (this is the tricky part).  The web server is smart enough to
   unlock the file (allow others to "check it out") once it is
   returned and optionally store the old version.

Is there a module for apache or features of NES 2.0 to allow this
or would something like this involve some sort of custom ftp'ing
scripts to grab the file from the host that checked it out after
the file was saved to the local disk by the application?

Thanks for any input...

        - Dan

 
 
 

Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Post by Scott Lawren » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00


There is an IETF working group looking at issues of doing distributed
authoring and versioning of Web content, which is perhaps a bit more
specific than what you are asking about:

    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~ejw/authoring/

--


Agranat Systems, Inc.                               http://www.agranat.com/

 
 
 

Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Post by Dan McDanie » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00


I'm looking for something similar.  The content on our site will be
owned by various people, many of whom will be non-technical types.
What's the  best way to let them maintain the content?  Navigator Gold,
and  FrontPage seem to offer some offer some features.  Are there other,
better tools?

--
Dan McDaniel

 
 
 

Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Post by Nick K » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00




Quote:

> Hello,

> What web servers out there support advanced document control?

WebThing
http://www3.pair.com/webthing/

(Note that anonymous visitors have readonly access, but to use the
features described here you must login - you can create yourself a
userid within the system.   Note too that the features described
here only apply to documents "imported by copy" - which is
just one mode of use.   See the documents at the site).

Quote:> By "advanced document control" I mean the following:

> 1. Users can go to a web page that shows icons representing
>    files stored on the web server.  These files can be anything.
>    The user can click on the icon to check out a file.  The
>    file is downloaded to the host running the browser and the
>    cooresponding application is spawned so they can edit, view
>    etc... the file.  (This part is easy...)

WebThing only does this for HTML documents, but a derived application
written for a Client's Intranet deals with arbitrary document types.
As you implicitly say, the difference is trivial in system terms.

Quote:> 2. After editing the file they can "save" it to the web server
>    (this is the tricky part).

WebThing imports by several protocols, including HTTP and FTP, from
another server.   The next version will support more methods of
document import and update: in particular it will add Netscape's
"file upload" (not supported now because it didn't exist when the
current WebThing was written).

Quote:>     The web server is smart enough to
>    unlock the file (allow others to "check it out") once it is
>    returned and optionally store the old version.

WebThing does all of this (including keeping old versions available:
each history file entry shows when and by whom the change was made).

It also has at least one essential feature you overlooked: when you
"book out" a document, you must specify an expiry date.   If you have
not entered the update (or cancelled the booking out) by then, your
lock expires, so that others can work on the document.

--
Nick Kew

 
 
 

Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Post by PeterW att clark .n » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00



Quote:>I'm looking for something similar.  The content on our site will be
>owned by various people, many of whom will be non-technical types.
>What's the  best way to let them maintain the content?  Navigator Gold,
>and  FrontPage seem to offer some offer some features.  Are there other,
>better tools?

Netscape Enterprise server incorporates "check-outs" and version control via
MKS software. The version 3 Enterprise will have a very slick Java applet
for checkout, etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------
-    OS/2 Warp 4  -   peterw*clark.net   -   Linux/X-Windows   -
-        Technology is only as good as the good it does.       -
----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Post by Alan C » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00




Quote:>Netscape Enterprise server incorporates "check-outs" and version control via
>MKS software. The version 3 Enterprise will have a very slick Java applet
>for checkout, etc.

We've been using CVS for this under Linux. It works very well both as a
command line and a remove system but I've never considered trying to merge
it with http PUT as wee don't use HTTP put currently

--

-------- http://www.cymru.net ----------       Phone: +44 1792 290194
Internet/Intranet Solutions, ISDN, Leased Lines, Consultancy and Support

 
 
 

Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

Post by Kyler Lai » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00



>We've been using CVS for this under Linux. It works very well both as a
>command line and a remove system but I've never considered trying to merge
>it with http PUT as wee don't use HTTP put currently

Any reason to use PUT instead of plain ol' (multipart) POST?

--kyler

 
 
 

1. pl/sql cusror state using Oracle web agent, web server & database server

Apologies for the broad ng hit, but it could count in any of them.

I am trying to use Oracle web server 1.0, Oracle web agent and Oracle
Server 7.3.3 to simply return a list of items from a table in groups of
ten as a web page allowing the user to click "next ten" when required.

To do this I have written a couple of pl/sql procedures which are
encapsulated in a pl/sql package. The package contains a public
declaration of a cursor which is used to fetch each row from the table
for display. According to the documentation a public cursor in a package
should have its state preserved between calls to the package.

When i test these procedures from SQLWorksheet, I execute
pack.getfirstten which opens the cursor and fetches the first ten rows.
I then execute pack.getnextten which fetches the next ten rows as
expected.

However, when I call the procedures through the use of Oracle Web Agent
as a URL (eg http://machine/test/owa/pack.getfirstten), the first
procedure correctly returns the first ten rows, but a call to the next
procedure in the form of a URL
(http://machine/test/owa/pack.getnextten) fails with an (ORA-1001 [i
think]) unidentified cursor error written to the OWA service log.

Has anyone any ideas why this doesn't work, how it can be made to work,
and if it wont ever work what is an alternative approach based in pl/sql
with OWA as Im on tight timescales?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Problem with Philips LMS206 CD...

3. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?

4. _exit() and exit()

5. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

6. Problem with Ethernet-hardware-adresses

7. Can NCSA HTTP server be set up as Proxy Server and Web server?

8. LinuxThreads readme request

9. Any FAQ to setup Web Server and Internet Server Using Linux

10. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

11. Can A Web Server connect to another Web Server ....??

12. Linux Web server vs. Sun web server?

13. Directing Win2K Web Server to a Linux Web Server