Apache 3rd-party module install problem

Post by Andrew La » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have downloaded a module from Apache web site called
apache-contrib-1.0.8.tar.gz

During installation, I typed "make all install
APXS=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs" but I encountered the following problem:

make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/tmp/apache-contrib-1.0.8'
===> mod_allowdev (all)
/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -o mod_allowdev.so -c mod_allowdev.c
gcc -DSOLARIS2=260 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite -fPIC -DSHARED_MODULE -I/
usr/local/apache/include -c mod_allowdev.c
ld -G -o mod_allowdev.so mod_allowdev.o
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=16711680
make[2]: *** [mod_allowdev.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [subdirmove] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `apache-contrib-1.0.8`
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am sure my Apache 1.3.12 supports DSO and apxs is executable (I have
changed the first line to #!/usr/local/bin/perl). My make version is 3.79

What have I done wrong?

Thank a lot.

Andrew

Kai,

I'm currently helping port a "half open source, half closed
source" winmodem driver from 2.4 to 2.5.59 (at www.linmodems.org)

The problem I'm facing is that since the kernel build process and the
module infrastructure was changed the driver refuses to load.

I'm currently building the open source part using a makefile with
something like:

obj-m := modem.o

This then needs to be linked with the closed source object file, like so:

ld -m elf_i386 -r -o modem_module.o modem.o closed_src.o

Next, I attempt to load modem_module.o with insmod (having installed
Rusty's module-init-tools) and I get '-1: invalid module format'

If I try to load modem.o by itself I get 'unresolved symbols' messages but
that's because it needs the closed source part...(but it seems to at least
be in the right format)

What am I doing wrong? Also what is the correct way to load a closed
source object file in 2.5.59?

Do I need to get the closed source manufacturer to compile me a new module
under 2.5 for it to be the correct format?

Hope you can help (and please cc me a response if you can)

--
 Paul Marinceu
 http://elixxir.ucc.asn.au

-

2. NFS Speed with linux

3. Apache - DSO with 3rd party modules

4. Backspacing in an xterm and in Netscape

5. Apache 3rd-Party Technical Support

6. Viewing Arabic on editor (Need arabic support for linux)

7. How to install 3rd party Xfree 4 server module during SUSE 7.1 setup

8. Screen saver for login window

9. PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY

10. 3rd-party video support?

11. mod_rewrite and 3rd party modules

12. HP-UX 9.x 3rd-party backup software

13. Solaris/x86 features/3rd-party software questions