apache 1.3.26 problem with url content after index.html

apache 1.3.26 problem with url content after index.html

Post by albatros » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 20:52:36

Hello All

I noticed on my server Sparc Ultra, Solaris 9, Apache 1.3.26 the following
 strange behaviour:

in server root there is index.html and subdirectory - say dir

1) When I specify url:

http://myserver.org/index.html

all is ok.

2) When I specify  url:

http://myserver.org/dir/

also all is OK.

3) But what is strange I can also specify:

http://myserver.org/index.html/dir/

and I receive content as in case 1). But I expected that this should be an error.

This behaviour causes problems with some robots, which get looped eg.
I can see very long urls like:

http://myserver.org/index.html/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/
and so on.

Is it ok or it a bug in apache. What can be done?

Similarly strage behaviour can be observer with emtpy hash (#) url e.g.

http://myserver.org/mydoc.html#

This is also no error but document is not refreshed ...

Thanks for any comments, advice...

AL

apache 1.3.26 problem with url content after index.html

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:26:38

Quote:> I noticed on my server Sparc Ultra, Solaris 9, Apache 1.3.26 the following
>  strange behaviour:

> in server root there is index.html and subdirectory - say dir

> 1) When I specify url:

> http://myserver.org/index.html

> all is ok.

> 2) When I specify  url:

> http://myserver.org/dir/

> also all is OK.

> 3) But what is strange I can also specify:

> http://myserver.org/index.html/dir/

> and I receive content as in case 1). But I expected that this should be an error.

That is perfectly normal behavior.  Anything in the path after an actual
resource (file, cgi, etc.) is passed in the environment as PATH_INFO.
This can be used to pass information to a script, SSI (includes) or other
handler.

Quote:> This behaviour causes problems with some robots, which get looped eg.
> I can see very long urls like:

> http://myserver.org/index.html/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/dir1/dir2/
> and so on.

> Is it ok or it a bug in apache. What can be done?

That is their problem.  Where would they get such a path from (maybe you
have non-compliant links somewhere or they are searching for common
directories or potential exploits)?

Quote:> Similarly strage behaviour can be observer with emtpy hash (#) url e.g.

> http://myserver.org/mydoc.html#

> This is also no error but document is not refreshed ...

That is a browser issue.  Many browsers are set to only check modification
time of cached resources once per session (until the browser is closed
completely).

1. Netscape 4.7 vs. Netscape 6.2 BASE URL PATH on a apache 1.3.26 server

I have an apache 1.3.26 SSL enabled server that it servering a home page of:

 <base href="www.myserver.com/Doc/">

I see some differences with difference browsers:

Internet Explorer, 6.0.2 takes the /Doc/ as part of the base URL
As does Netscape 4.7 but Netscape 6.2 does not; it only appear
To take the base URL as:

<base href="www.grc.nasa.gov">

Very strange?

2. make broken in slack 2.2.0 ?

3. Apache apache 1.3.26 config file

4. SCSI zip drive: need scsi-2 cable or adapter

5. apache 1.3.26 problem

6. Getting error while loading my own stream module

7. Problems with Apache 1.3.26 build on Solaris 7 (and Websphere integration)

8. kppp with non-root users

9. apache 1.3.26 + PHP 4.2.1 problem

10. ErrorDocument problems Apache 1.3.26

11. Apache 1.3.26 authorization problem

12. Apache 1.3.26 in RedHat 7.2 - Problem with pthread

13. Proxy problems with Apache 1.3.26 - broken images